Has anybody got any tips please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody got any tips please....

....about the best way to set about doing a chart of a mass of Hudsons ? My problem is that I can't write because of the shakes, otherwise I'd take a huge scroll & start writing them down. I've found about 5 or 6 other people, all with Hudson families & all coming to a Bermuda Triangle (where the connections disappear) around 1800 in Shepshed, Leics. They're probably related, but we can't find out how. We can find probable ancestors sprouting further back into Derbyshire, but we haven't got the missing links, so that's all speculation to a greater or lesser extent. I can get a one name study of Hudsons in Leicestershire but the Shepshed records haven't been properly transcribed & I've been told they're very difficult to read. You've helped me a lot on here, but we just can't find those one or two essential connections.

Any help in trying to see the wood for the trees welcome. My only idea is to type up all the families I've got & lie them side by side.

If you typed them on a spreadsheet you can then sort the names into any order you like. I would have a column for each of these

first name, middle name or initial, surname, year of birth, place of birth, married/single, mother, father etc.

If you have Microsoft OS then you have probably got Works or Office so will have a spreadsheet application. If not then Open Office is free and can be downloaded and that has a spreadsheet application on it.

Margaret

Comment

did you get MacFTM grey ??

if so you can create alot of mini trees within that, goto, 'Plan' then you will see 'new tree' and go from there.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks to both of you. My Mac is too old for their version of FTM, Julie. I've got Reunuion, which I'm very pleased with, & I imagine I could do the same with that. I think I need to see the families side by side. I think we're missing one generation somewhere .....a group of Hudson brothers...& I imagine they were somewhere in the Derbys/Leics/Notts border triangle....or moving around in that area. But whether the records survive/whether, for some reason, some of them weren't baptised/married, I don't know

Comment

hmmn well, I suppose you could use Ancestry? or Tribal Pages.. I don't know about Reunion not used it. (at least if you used ancestry then you might get contacts) rather than it sitting there on your puter-tree..
          Julie

Comment

Thanks, Julie.

Comment

You could type out sticky labels, one per person, and stick them on a roll of wallpaper. Same as writing by hand, just using typed labels for neatness.

I write out my own "family group" sheets, based on the downloadable ones you used to be able to get on Familysearch. These are very handy for laying out on the carpet and comparing families!

OC

Comment

This is the sort of time when Velcro-type labels onto fabric might be useful!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

oooh just had a thought. maybe this will be an option...

Julie

Comment

you could do them in word. i don't know how to, but a friend does them. whatever you end up doing, just do the mini trees, print them, so you can see them all at once.

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions. Julie.....I don't get anything when I try the link you've given. As well as the things you've said, I think it might be helpful if I did a kind of chart which takes what happened in what year as its starting point....that way I might be able to see where the gaps are. As I've said, I think we're missing a generation, or at least 2 or 3 brothers from that generation.

Comment

Not sure if this would be any help but when I am having a problem family then I find a "timeline" very useful (as you mention in you post).
                        I include Date, Name and Place of Birth as a minimum (occupation is sometimes helpful) and it sometimes helps me see where families are coexisting in the same areas or era and, as you say, any gaps will be more obvious.
                        I usually do this just as a word document on the computer.
                        Good luck.
                        herky
                        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks herky.

Comment

did you get my email Grey?
                            Julie

Comment

Working...
                            X