Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM help please....

Hi all,
    Hopefully I don’t confuse anyone although I’m pretty confused myself.....

I have recently got FTM 2012 and it’s Synced to my public tree (I’ll call it tree A) on Ancestry.

I have now decided I want to have two trees (tree A & B) as there are some photos etc of deceased people that I have been given but have been asked not to pass on - even to other family members. But I want to be able to add them to my tree (tree B) so I can view them attached to the people concerned. Tree B would be set to private and also not show up on the search index so I could add the sensitive information and it only be seen by me, but tree A would still be public (without the sensitive information) as there is a lot of information that may be useful to other family members and already has family members invited to it...

Is there anyway I can duplicate the tree I have now but still have them (or at least one of them) be able to link between FTM and Ancestry.....Is there any way to make this possible?

I read that once un-linked, the tree can’t be re-linked to your FamilyTree Maker tree. So I am worried that even if I change the name I won’t be able to link tree B - as it would have already have been linked but with a different name.

Thank you for any help offered

Last edited by jadzia; 05-02-12, 02:17. Reason: added a bit
    Ness

I have a tree on ancestry that is private with the box ticked not to show up on searches. It seems to work fine for my tree.

As far as the rest of your query is concerned I'm afraid I can't help yet. I only got my copy of Family tree maker yesterday and have never had the program before. Must admit I got into a bit of a muddle because the sync only seems to work one way for me at the moment. Anyway, trying to sort out that problem, and I must admit I really didn't know what I was doing, I seemed to end up with two trees on my computer both linked to the same one on Ancestry (don't know if you should be able to do that - not on the same computer at least.). Anyway I ended up unlinking the trees, deleting them from my computer then uninstalling Family Tree Maker from my computer. I have now installed it again and linked to my main private tree. Don't know if it is working ok yet as OH wanted my computer but Ancestry says the tree is linked and I did notice that all my media had come down when I linked to the tree.

By the way I am using the new 2012 Mac version of the program

Linda
    LindaG

Comment

Although I am using FTM 2012, I don't use the treesync facility so can't really help with your question.

Does this link help in any way?

or if you go to this link and put sync 2012 in the keyword search box, you will get quite a few results which might help.
      Elaine

Comment

After a few teething problems have now got it working, its very good, think have it set up as poster wants have 2 trees that are basically same, but only one is synched, thats one that keep only few able to see, other allow fair few to see.
        Nearly gave up on it as it was very frustrating when they first released it, but after a few updates, fingers crossed they seem to have it right, now would not be with out it.

Comment

Oops sorry guys I forgot I had posted this:o

Thank you all for your help. I have it sorted now, the links were very helpful Elaine thank you. I did write down how I did it....so just incase anyone else wants to know how i'll add it to this post when I remember where I put the bit of paper I wrote it on!

Ness

Comment

Working...
          X