Robert ALLEN - Army Service Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert ALLEN - Army Service Record

I wonder if someone can help me with a Robert ALLEN who was in the army?

The one I am interested in was as follows in 1881:

name: Robert Allen
    birthplace: Wainstead, Essex, England [NOTE: I assume Wanstead, in West Ham RD]
    relationship to head of household: Soldier
    marital condition: Single
    profession/occupation: Private
    address: 1st Battalion 5th Fusiliers Cambridge Brks
    census place: Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
    the national archives reference: RG11
    piece/folio: 1151 / 33
    page number: 3

However, I cannot find an obvious birth record although on FMP there is a poss. army record of a Robert ALLEN born 1860 Portsmouth (and a few others where no birth date or location given). Is this one in the 5th Fusiliers?

I would be keen to know if a wife or children are mentioned on the army record and if he was in Ireland around 1890/91

Thanks to anyone who might help

The first result from an Ancestry search shows a 1901 Census in which a Robert William Allen is in a Military Hospital in York showing his rank of Sergeant in the 4th Northumberland Fusiliers. Census ref; RG13/4448/184/2.

In 1891 Census ref RG12/531/124/9 he is in Woolwich with wife Fanny a 2 children. Shows as a Corporal in the Fusiliers.
    Last edited by AlanC; 04-02-12, 07:23.

Comment

Thanks AlanC - do the date and place of birth tie up in the census records?

I can't find a suitable marriage (poss. name mistranscription): what names / ages / birth location do you have for the 2 children and age and birth location of Fanny?
      Last edited by Bertie; 04-02-12, 07:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
        However, I cannot find an obvious birth record although on FMP there is a poss. army record of a Robert ALLEN born 1860 Portsmouth (and a few others where no birth date or location given). Is this one in the 5th Fusiliers?
        this one enlisted 1884, age 24. royal artillery.

Comment

there was only 1 that was in the fusiliers- northumberland and he was 41 when he enlisted.

Comment

Thanks kylejustin: on that basisi I can definitely rule that Service Record out.

Still cannot find a likely candidate for a soldier born Wanstead / Essex who enlisted before Apr 1881!

Comment

The FMP record for the Robert Allen orn in Portsmouth does not look to be the right man

There is however on the 2nd page of search results there is a Robert - no date or place of birth - but in Northumberland Fusiliers who looks as if he might fit the bill. Born Wanstead, he married a Fanny Clarke in Dublin and has 3 children listed Robert William born Newry 1887, Charlotte Elizabeth born Colchester 1889 and Eveline born Portsmouth 1899.

He was discharged in Dublin in 1901

Worth buying some credits for the full record I would think

Comment

The attestation age for the NF man is wrong on FMP - that is the age he was discharged at - so probably don't discount him yet

Comment

Thanks SueNSW: that fits very nicely and explains why I could not find the marriage. My post crossed - should I still not discount him?
                  Last edited by Bertie; 04-02-12, 07:51.

Comment

In 1891 Census, Fanny age 21, wife is from Ireland; Son Robert age 4yrs is also from Ireland whilst daughter Charlotte aged 2yrs is born Colchester, Essex.

Comment

I'd say "buy dem credits" Bertie - hope it will be worthwhile!!

Comment

Thanks - I now have his marriage record. He married fanny clarke Apr 06 1885 and he was a bandsman 5th regiment so it does seem to be him

Just as a double check SueNSW: is there any marriage / child / residence detail for the 1860 Portsmouth Robert ALLEN?
                        Last edited by Bertie; 04-02-12, 08:16.

Comment

No marriage - his father was Robert - but he didn't attest until 1884 - was in Malta most of 1888/89/90/91/92 - and was transferred to the Reserve at the end of 1892

So he doesn't seem to fit at all

Comment

Thanks SueNSW - back to the drawing board!

Comment

Working...
                            X