Praise, where praise is due.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praise, where praise is due.

We often hear on Forums such as this about institutions (often Irish) that require a fairly substantial sum up front to look for records, only to come back with no information so I thought it only fair to mention when the reverse happens.

My husband has been searching for 12 years for details of his gm, a woman he knew well as a young man - she died in 1970. Sorry, forgot to mention that he's Irish. He found her marriage in Civil Records to his gf but a real bonus, or so he thought was the church entry which gave both of her parents names. He then spent many hours over several months at the LDS poring over the Indexes but there was no sign of her birth or birth, marriage or death of the parents.

We jump forward a few years to the release of the Irish 1901 census & he finds someone listed under a diminutive of her first name, living in a children's home in Dublin. Nothing positive but his 'gut feeling' was that it was her. Googling the name of the home gave him a lot of background information on the Institution but that was that.

He's had a little break from Family History as those of you with Irish ancestors know, Irish research is difficult. Last week he googled the home again & found a message from someone in Australia who also had an ancestor in the home. This person had found the name of a Trust which dealt with this home & had received a lot of help from them.

At the beginning of the week an email was sent to the Trust with the details he had of his grandmother. The reply wasn't encouraging - the index showed that this child had completely different parents names from the ones given. Knowing how things can be badly indexed he asked if there was anything else to look at as he still felt this was his gm. The kind lady agreed to go to the Archive & look for the file. Yesterday she replied & emailed photocopies of the documents in the file. Most of the information still did not agree with my husband's but in the file were 3 letters from his gm in her married name giving the proof needed that this was indeed the correct child. Needless to say, hubbie is over the moon that he has new avenues open to him.

His gm made up all the names. She was buried as Cathlyn Marion, her name was Kate. She said her parents were Hugh & Edith Marion, they were Thomas & Emily. No wonder they couldn't be found. At no time was money mentioned but my husband has sent a gift.
    Glen

What a lovely ending to the search - thankyou for sharing.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Brilliant
      Joy

Comment

Thanks, Janet & Joy. Exhilarated isn't too strong a word for how we feel.
        Glen

Comment

wow, that is massive luck! makes you wonder how many brick walls were similar.....

Comment

how lovely so nice to hear of the good ones

Comment

Thanks Kyle & Val. It's taken a long time but the wait was worth it.
              Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                Thanks, Janet & Joy. Exhilarated isn't too strong a word for how we feel.
                I can empathise with the word exhilarated - from when we had a subscription to find my past and saw the evidence for civil service identity for great-great-aunt-Elizabeth Jane McCusker whom I knew, from census records and from her death certificate, had been born prior to civil registration, and a cousin who belongs to the Society of Genealogists kindly popped into the SoG and had a copy of it made for me

The certificate of age document was signed by her father John and reads as follows:
                I, John McCusker, of Moor Park in the County of Galway, do solemnly and sincerely declare, That my daughter Elizabeth Jane McCusker was born July 1st 1851 at Abbey Lodge, Co. Fermanagh. ? looking at my father making the entry in the family Bible which I now produce and which there sets forth her age as I have above stated, she is therefore now in the 31st year of her age.
                It was declared before John Lopdell, Justice of the Peace, Co. Galway, at his home, Raheen Park, Athenry (situated just north of the Town of Athenry), on 1st November 1881.
                Joy

Comment

Working...
                X