Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Gittins 1870

Hi there

I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on William Gittins born 30th June 1870 in Neston Cheshire.
    I am trying to trace his parents. We think his mother was called Grace but dont know if Gittins was her maiden name or a name she took. Also there is no father on his birth certificate. We know at the time Martha was working as a servant in a big house near Ness and teh rumour is that William was the offspring of either the lord of the manor or his son.

If anyone out there has any useful information about either it would be fantastic.

Jon Wood

in 1871
    William H Gittins born abt 1870 Cheshire
    Joseph Gittins Head born abt 1849 Cumberland
    Jane Gittins Wife born abt 1849 Lancashire

could that be him ??
    Last edited by Guest; 02-02-12, 20:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Jontwood View Post

I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on William Gittins born 30th June 1870 in Neston Cheshire.
      We think his mother was called Grace but dont know if Gittins was her maiden name or a name she took. Also there is no father on his birth certificate.
      Firstly, welcome to the forum.
      You say there is no father's name on the birth certificate which implies that you have the certificate in your possession or someone has.
      What does the certificate give for the mother's name?
      What address is given on the birth certificate?
      Have you found William in any census, if so can you give the details.
      Elaine

Comment

and who's Martha ?? please

Comment

Did William marry, if so when and to whom - and do you have a marriage certificate?
          Elaine

Comment

Hi there

He was in deed born in 1870 in Cheshire but we thought his mother was called Martha? Sorry I dont know where Grace came from?????

Can I ask where did you get this information from?

Thanks Jon

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            in 1871
            William H Gittins born abt 1870 Cheshire
            Joseph Gittins Head born abt 1849 Cumberland
            Jane Gittins Wife born abt 1849 Lancashire

could that be him ??
            Last edited by Jontwood; 02-02-12, 22:08.

Comment

Yes he married Elizabeth Ann Hughes in 1891 and a second marriage to Elizabeth Thorp in Jan 1920. Have one for the 2nd marriage in which he states his father as William Gittins and deceased.

My mum has seen the birth certificate in the past but not for a long time. They think it gives the mothers name as Martha Gittins.

I cant find him on the 1871 census but have him on the 1881 census as a "nurse child" living with William (1828) & Margaret (1822) Roscoe and Mary Barnes(1808) who was the sis-in-law of william. By 1891 he was married to Elizabeth Ann and the cesuse check out from there
              Last edited by Jontwood; 02-02-12, 22:15.

Comment

HI Elaine

My mother has seen his birth certificate and is pretty sure his mother was Martha Gittins I dont know about addresses.

In terms of census. The first one i have found is in 1881 when he is registered as a "nurse child" living with William (1828) & Margaret (1822) Roscoe and Mary Barnes(1808) who was the sis-in-law of william. By the 1891 census he had married Elizabeth Ann Hughes.

He later married Elizabeth Thorp in 1920 and I have seen that certificate, where it states his father as William Gittins and deceased. I feel though that this may have been a lie as hie didnt like to talk about his father.

Thanks for all your help Jon

Comment

There is a Gittins House furnishing shop in Neston, been there for as long as I can remember and quite possibly a family connection.

Comment

What worries me here is that there are two William Gittins born in Cheshire about the same time, one of them having the middle name of Henry on the birth registration. However, from what you have said re birth place and date, this one does not seem to be yours, even though on the marriage registration to Elizabeth there is a middle name of Henry.

Can you just confirm where you got the birth date from?

I am presuming this is the birth registration of the William you believe to be yours
                    Births Sep 1870
                    GITTINS William Wirral 8a 405

and this is the marriage registration
                    Marriages Mar 1891
                    GITTINS William Henry
                    Hughes Elizabeth Ann
                    Wirral 8a 721

and this is the other birth registration (in Cheshire) which we need to avoid!
                    Births Mar 1871
                    GITTINS William Henry
                    Nantwich 8a 324

The information Val has found comes from the 1871 census and I think refers to the Nantwich birth registration, as the age on the census is given as 4 months which would match with a birth registration in the first quarter of 1871.

Looking for your William on the 1871 census I have come up with this one:
                    Martha Pike born 1819 Liverpool - occ. charwoman - shown as head of household
                    Edward Gideus born 1840 Bromborough, Cheshire, - occ. Ag. lab - shown as son
                    William Gideus 9 Months - born in Thornton Hough, shown as nephew
                    living in Thornton Hough, Neston.

RG10; Piece: 3739; Folio: 85; Page: 8
                    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

If you look at the image of this I think the surname has been recorded Gidens, which could well be a variation on Gittins. It is the link with a Martha here that makes me think this one might be worth following up.

Personally, the first thing I would get is a copy of the marriage certificate between William Henry Gittins and Elizabeth Ann Hughes, presuming that you know this is the correct marriage! It may not have a father's name but it's possible that the names of the witnesses may be of use in tying the family together.

I think you should also try to get a look at the birth certificate of William as that would definitely give his mother's name!
                    Elaine

Comment

It's a bit odd - there is only one William Gittins' birth registred in Neston in 1870 and that presumably is the one Val found (post #2 above), which you say is not him.

As you have his birth cert (or have seen it) then there must have been two Wlliam Gittins' registered in Neston, unless Val's one wasn't registered.

I hope that makes sense - two William Gs, but only one has been registered.

OC
                      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 03-02-12, 10:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post

Looking for your William on the 1871 census I have come up with this one:
                        Martha Pike born 1819 Liverpool - occ. charwoman - shown as head of household
                        Edward Gideus born 1840 Bromborough, Cheshire, - occ. Ag. lab - shown as son
                        William Gideus 9 Months - born in Thornton Hough, shown as nephew
                        living in Thornton Hough, Neston.

RG10; Piece: 3739; Folio: 85; Page: 8
                        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

If you look at the image of this I think the surname has been recorded Gidens, which could well be a variation on Gittins. It is the link with a Martha here that makes me think this one might be worth following up.
                        Just following up on the name variation, have checked the census for Edward born 1840 Bromborough, Cheshire - son of Martha - and on other censuses he has been recorded as Gittens/Gittins, so I think we can presume that the Gidens recorded on the 1871 above should really be Gittens/Gittins.
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          It's a bit odd - there is only one William Gittins' birth registred in Neston in 1870 and that presumably is the one Val found (post #2 above), which you say is not him.

As you have his birth cert (or have seen it) then there must have been two Wlliam Gittins' registered in Neston, unless Val's one wasn't registered.

I hope that makes sense - two William Gs, but only one has been registered.

OC
                          The one Val has found in 1871 census wasn't born in Neston, he was born in Coppenhall - so he must be the Nantwich birth registration 1871 first quarter.
                          Elaine

Comment

Oh, yes, sorry, I see what you mean now. So, where is Martha Gittins in 1871?

OC

Comment

Well at the moment we don't know if there was a Martha Gittins!

William Gittens aunt was called Martha Pike, presumably formerly Gittens as her son was shown as Edward Gittens on the 1871 census.
                              I'll work back with Edward to see if he had a sister called Martha.
                              Elaine

Comment

1851 census:
                                Household:
                                John Gittins 38
                                Martha Gittins 32 - presuming at the moment that she remarries at some point to a Mr. Pike !
                                Edward Gittins 11 - born Bromborough
                                Joseph Gittins 9
                                Sarah Gittins 7
                                Esther Gittins 5
                                Martha Gittins - born 1849 Bromborough

1861 census
                                Household
                                John Gittins 46
                                Martha Gittins 41
                                Sarah Gittins 18
                                Easter Gittins 15
                                Martha Gittins 12
                                Ann Gittins 10
                                Ann J Jackson 24
                                Elizabeth Jackson 1

.. at the moment I cannot see Martha born 1849, on the 1871 census.
                                .. but if this Martha is the mother of William born 1870, then Martha Pike shown in the 1871 census would be grandmother not aunt.
                                Elaine

Comment

maybe william's mother is the 12 yo martha gittins in 1861? maybe she later married a mr pike?

Comment

Just going back to the Martha Pike in the 1871 census (mother of Edward Gidens/Gittens) - the image is not clear - it would well be Pits.
                                    The only relevant death I can find is for a Martha Pitt in 1874 Wirral (born 1817) - this may be her - although I cannot see a Gittens/Pitt marriage at the moment.

Really need to see what happened to Martha Gittens born 1849 Bromborough.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Hmm...

Edward Gittins m MARTHA Norman in 1871 at St Mary and St Helen, Neston.

I can't see this on Freebmd to see which quarter they married.

(The nephew thing - I'm thinking Martha senior couldn't read or write and Edward filled in the census form.)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        Hmm...

Edward Gittins m MARTHA Norman in 1871 at St Mary and St Helen, Neston.

I can't see this on Freebmd to see which quarter they married.
                                        Shown on freeBMD as 1873, 3rd quarter.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X