Spread sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spread sheets

I have three pages of spread sheets of one particular line of my family which was sent to me some time ago when I was with GR.
    I have only just got round to looking into it and had to download Excel viewer to read it.
    I have since printed it out to save keep going in to view it.

My question is this, is there any way, I can put it into my Legacy tree as it is, as the relationship factor is nowhere near sorted yet.

I have Legacy 7.5 the standard version, and have been looking at the deluxe version but I'm not sure of either of these.

What I think I need is somewhere to put lists/notes etc. Unless someone can suggest a better way of making life easier.

I also have a tree on TP ut can't see anywhere to put it in there either.

How do you deal with this type of thing please?
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

can you not create another tree? and then add it to your main tree at some point? (ie as a floating tree?) thats what I would do but then again I use FTM not sure about the programs you mention, sorry.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      can you not create another tree? and then add it to your main tree at some point? (ie as a floating tree?) thats what I would do but then again I use FTM not sure about the programs you mention, sorry.
      Not sure I would know where to start with that one Julie, I am trying to keep everything as organised as I can without having info all over the place. So need all info to hand in one place really, so it's easier to refer to back and forth.
      Just wondered if anyone has a better system/set up which would accomodate this.
      Jen

Comment

Does your program have something like "add an unrelated individual"? If so you could add one of the new people and build their tree round them. That way they would all be in your program but not linked in any way to the other tree.

That's what Family Historian can do anyway! I have the trees for a One Name Society all on the same FH GEDCOM. There are over 300 trees all separate from each other but all listed in the same data.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          Does your program have something like "add an unrelated individual"? If so you could add one of the new people and build their tree round them. That way they would all be in your program but not linked in any way to the other tree.

That's what Family Historian can do anyway! I have the trees for a One Name Society all on the same FH GEDCOM. There are over 300 trees all separate from each other but all listed in the same data.

Anne
          Yes it does appear to have an option to 'Add new unlinked individual' Anne, so if I put them in that way, I can save them on the tree without them being attached until i can sort them properly. Is this what you mean Anne?
          Jen

Comment

Yes, that's correct. When you have all the new ones entered and you chose/select one of those "new people" you will be able to open their tree without opening your main tree.

If you eventually find that the two trees do link up you can probably quite easily "attach" the linking person to your main tree. Otherwise they can stay as a completely separate tree within your main program. LOL ... in years to come you might find yourself thinking "who the heck are these lot". In which case you have the result you wanted .... keep the family in mind in case it attaches!

Anne

Comment

Many thanks Anne, I shall give it some thought as I'm dubious now in case they do attach. Presently I have them on paper but there are so many of them at least three whole A4 size pages, attaching them will be a couple of days work anyway lol!
              Jen

Comment

Jen you could always do a little 'test tree'.

Anne has said exactly what I tried (and failed!!) to.. :smilee:
                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  Jen you could always do a little 'test tree'.

Anne has said exactly what I tried (and failed!!) to.. :smilee:
                  Oh sorry Julie, I hadn't realised, I obviously had my brain in backwards then lol!

I could try a test tree with one or two names, that's a good idea actually, then I'd know one way or another. Thanks Julie.
                  Jen

Comment

Yes, a test tree is a good idea. Just add a male as an "unattached individual". give him a spouse and a couple of kids and see what happens. If it doesn't do what you expect then you could delete them. I'm sure it will be OK if you BEGIN with an unattached individual.

Anne

Comment

Good idea ladies, although in this info I received there doesn't appear to be any children listed they're just marriages and baptisms so far. But should work if I just put in one couples marriage.
                      Jen

Comment

do let us know Jen how you got on :smilee:
                        Julie

Comment

Will do Julie, I shall try it soon.
                          Jen

Comment

I have a few unattached trees saved together on my Family Historian. There is no danger of them attaching themselves unless I make a deliberate decision to do so. I have found it invaluable in trying to sort out the numerous families sharing my ancestors' surname in adjoining Suffolk and Cambridgeshire villages, all of whom selected from a range of only 4 or 5 male christian names! On FH it is possible to place unattached trees alongside each other on ancestor/descendant diagrams. By then sliding them around so that people born in the same time frame are in line it has been possible to spot where an individual who disappears after baptism in one parish pops up at marriage in another, and couples who baptise first child in home parish, move and baptise a few more, then move on again.... you get the picture :D
                            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
                            X