Had a good look but can't find him..help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a good look but can't find him..help needed

Can anyone find my Grandad's war record?

My Uncle (his son) 89, keeps asking me if I can find anything.

He was born in 1890 Charles Edward Langham at 14 Savona Street, Battersea in registration district Wandsworth, Surrey.

He married my Nan, Rosetta Blewitt, in 1915 in Lambeth, Surrey.

He survived the war so not looking for a death.

Uncle seems think he was in the Surrey Rifles?

Hope someone can have a look for me.

Thanks

Linda

So far, all I have found is a possible Medal card.

"Charles E LANGHAM, Royal Army Medical Corps, regimental number 3294"
    Unfortunately this number doesn't match any of the service or pension records.
    Although many soldiers had more than one regimental number, as my grandad had.
    BUT - as in my grandad's case, I have his medal card but no sign of his service or pension records. I think many were lost.
    Very frustrating but perhaps there will be records for the RAMC - if the medal card is in fact your grandad.
    Edit to say - just remembered you said the Surrey Rifles, so this is probably not him at all - sorry!
    Last edited by herky; 01-02-12, 09:31.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

His marriage certifacate gives the occupation Soldier and the address 2 Allington Street, Brixton Hill.

Bob
      http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

An alternative medal card:
        Chas E Langham
        9th East Surrey Regiment, Devonshire Regiment
        1507, 79704

Comment

Now that looks better then my one.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Absent voters list Clapham Division 1918
            4 Lydon Road sw14
            Langham Charles Edward
            546228 l/cpl 32nd san sec RAMCT

Comment

Originally posted by bobdonk View Post
              Absent voters list Clapham Division 1918
              4 Lydon Road sw14
              Langham Charles Edward
              546228 l/cpl 32nd san sec RAMCT
              http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...&pid=133510780
              So that one is probably the one from my medal card,as it mentions the RAMC, which isn't likely to be the correct one??
              herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                So that one is probably the one from my medal card,as it mentions the RAMC, which isn't likely to be the correct one??
                You are probably right: later electoral rolls put him back to 2 Allington Street

Comment

Hi,

I don't that's my Charles on the Absent Voters List

Grandad was living as a lodger at 2 Allington Street on 1911 census with Nan and her family, that is the address on his marriage certificate and he was still living there when he died in 1934.

On that list it gives the address as 4 Lydon Road.

Linda

Lol we've posted at the same time
                  Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 01-02-12, 10:42.

Comment

Bear in mind the "Surrey Rifles" - if Linda's uncle recalls correctly - were not associated with the East Surrey Regiment -they were the 21st Battalion of the all Territorial London Regiment - see http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm -which shows they were based in Camberwell. Not that there appears to be a suitable medal card for a similarly named man in the London Regiment

The address of 4 Lydon Road appears to be the family home of the man listed above Charles in the AVL- John William Hoflin - who interestingly appears to be the son of German born parents (the family were there in 1911)

The fact that Langham has a 6 digit number (546228) in the AVL suggests he was a Territorial who received this new number (replacing an original 4 digit number) as part of the 1917 renumbering of the TF

Hoflin - while shown as a Captain in the AVL - shows on his medal card as having prior to commissioning been renumbered very similarly as 546286 - I understand these numbers were issued more or less consecutively - and this series was allocated to 2nd London Sanitary Section - suggesting at some point they were likely to have been serving together

Does the name mean anything at all Linda? Looks like he went into government service after the war and spent time in the Federated Malay States

Finally remember that if a man served only in Britain - he wouldn't have a medal card - does your uncle have any evidence his father served overseas?

Comment

There are many records appertaining to the East Suttey Regiment at Surrey History cente in Woking

Comment

Hi Sue and Bobdonk

Goodness it's all so interesting. Uncle doesn't seem to think that Grandad served overseas and my own Mum who was born in 1918 never mentioned. Why oh why didn't I ask her more when she was alive. I only started my Family Tree after she had died. Camberwell is just down the road from Brixton where they were living.

Perhaps my next move should be to contact the Surrey History Centre in Woking.

Just found out last week that my Auntie seems to think she has a photo of Grandad and Nan, him in his Army uniform. If that's correct are you good with Army uniforms!! Perhaps you could help me see if the Surrey Rifles is correct. I think it probably is as Uncle although 89 has an incredible memory and has never been wrong with anything I've asked him yet.

I'll mention the name to Uncle when I give him his daily phone call at teatime.

Thankyou very much so far.

Linda
                        Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 01-02-12, 17:17.

Comment

Working...
                        X