Mark Yarranton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Yarranton

Just wondered if anyone can help me,I have Mark Yarranton in my tree who was christened 14 May 1797 Grimley Worcestershire and also 9 January 1803 Grimley.

I've come across christenings of the same person a few weeks apart but 6 years?
    I have a possible marriage 26 Dec 1816 St. John,​ Bedwardine,​ Worcester to Esther Budd and death 10 February 1819 age 22 Lower Mitton Worcestershire.

Is this the same person and if so why the two christenings?

it is more than likely that the first Mark died and the next born son was named after him. It happens quite a lot in many trees.

Comment

That was my first thought Janet but the death I found fits nicely with the first christening.

Comment

He would hardly have married at age 13! 14 yes, 13 no.

Where have you found the two baptisms and do they both have the same set of parents?

EDIT - Looks as if he was born 1797, baptised 1803 - there's only one baptism recorded.

OC
        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 31-01-12, 18:44.

Comment

Both baptisms are from the Grimley parish register and yes 13 would be too young but I meant a marriage for the first Mark also yes both baps have the same parents.

Thats why it's strange usually a child is christened and dies then at a later date another is born and given the same name,for some reason it seems as though the same child was christened 6years apart.

Comment

There is only one baptism recorded on familysearch and that is the 1803 one. Have you seen the actual register?

OC

Comment

Yes I've seen the register OC.

Comment

Well, the only other thing I can think of is that the 1797 baptism was a private baptism and the 1803 baptism was actually the child being received into the church, which is a slightly different ceremony.

Maybe the parents were worried that the child had not been properly baptised or couldn't remember. I think it is safe to assume it is the same person and that he was born in 1797.

Odd that the 1797 baptism hasn't been transcribed from the registers but the 1803 one has!

OC

Comment

Possibly the family search information was taken from the Bishop's Transcripts and the 1797 baptism was omitted or mistrancribed in that
                  Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Odd that the 1797 baptism hasn't been transcribed from the registers but the 1803 one has!

OC
                  http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

Oh, you could be right, bobdonk. I find it very difficult to work out the source on the new site without a lot of to-ing and fro-ing.

On the old site you could just click on the source number and it took you to a page which told you where they had got the information.

OC

Comment

I have a person in my tree who was baptised near birth (not privately) and then a few years later, while the family were having one of those "job lot" baptisms of a load of children they were hoovered up in the melee and baptised again! This is from after 1837 so I know they are the same child. I think it was a case of 'new vicar - new broom'!

Anne

Comment

Both baptisms are on the old Family search site the 1797 one has been entered as Yarinton,I think for now it's safe to assume that Mark Yaranton was baptised twice.Perhaps it did have something to do with a proper baptism as opposed to a private one or perhaps a new vicar in the parish.

Comment

Working...
                        X