What do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do?

When you have a relative marrying a widow do you list her as her maiden name or her first married name

Thanks

Linda

Women are always listed in their maiden names. The tree I use allows for any number of previous marriages to be shown.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC....wasn't quite sure

Linda

Comment

I always list women with their maiden name, if there is more than one marriage I also track the previous husband and enter them so that I have a record that ties in with the marriage certificate, or if your programme has a note field attached to the marriage fact you could just make a note of the name of her previous husband.

Margaret.
        Margaret

Comment

Always list by their own maiden name. Sometimes though it might be a while before you find it, then I give her her first married surname and leave a note with her to say she "married as a widow surname XXXX". Later when I have found out more about her I change the name to the maiden name but still leave the note with her record. I do this because in some cases (one name study) I am not interested in her former marriage.

Anne

Comment

I always use her maiden name and add her first husband and children if any, helps with contacts

Comment

Thanks everyone

Linda

Comment

I list them like this : Linda Smith (Brown; Jones) where Brown was first husband and Jones 2nd. She'll appear in the index as Smith but I'll know about both her marriages. Helps if you have lots of Linda Smiths for example!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

That's a great idea Nell......thanks

Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X