No announcement yet.

Where did James Panton originate from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did James Panton originate from?

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone could suggest any avenues I could follow to determine the place where my Gt Grandfather x 6 may have originated from.

James Panton (c1774 -1822) married Jane Sherren in 1805 in West Knighton, Dorset. I have established a birth for Jane and the Sherren family in Dorset are well documented. James however is a bit of a mystery. From his Will it seems that his mother was named Elizabeth Duncan, and stories which have filtered down our family through past generations suggest that the Panton family originated from Scotland. However, I'm not sure as to how to proceed to establish whether this is true or not. As James died in 1822 he doesn't appear in the Census. However, he was a well known figure in Wareham as he established the Brewery there. I had thought of approaching Dorset FHS to see whether they have any information, but is there anything else I can do?

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks,

Catie

You could have a look on scotlandspeople website where they have parish and civil BMDs. You might then see whether the name is popular in Scotland or not. The fact that James refers to his mother by what must be her maiden name is indicative of Scottish origins as women did not routinely change their names on marriage.

I suppose you would look for a marriage for Elizabeth Duncan to ? Panton.

Do you know if James had any siblings?

Margaret

Comment

There's this baptism in Dorset https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F7N9-Z9L which may be relevant

Margaret

Comment

Thank you for your reply Margaret. I will take a look at Scotlandspeople - haven't used it before. Interesting what you say about the Will referring to James's mother by her maiden name - didn't realise that.
        Thank you also for the familysearch link - will follow that up too.

Catie

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          I suppose you would look for a marriage for Elizabeth Duncan to ? Panton.
          A possible:

Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 (source Ancestry)
          Elizth Panton / John Duncan
          Marriage 12 Oct 1788 Wimborne Minster

Elaine

Comment

Maybe Duncan wasn't her maiden name. She may have been married before and the Duncan marriage is a second marriage.
            Elaine

Comment

Just parking this here for a moment as a possible first marriage for Elizabeth - will see if there is a death for Janes (?James) Panton

Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812
              Janes Panton / Elizabeth Gibbs
              Marriage 28 Jun 1774 Wimborne St Giles

Elaine

Comment

Thank you for that information Elaine - certainly food for thought.

Comment

Not having much luck pulling it together! Cannot see a burial for James Panton between 1774 and the possible second marriage for Elizabeth in 1788.
                  Elaine

Comment

Thank you for looking Elaine. I will try to look at the details of the baptism suggested by Margaret and then see if that links in.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      A possible:

Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 (source Ancestry)
                      Elizth Panton / John Duncan
                      Marriage 12 Oct 1788 Wimborne Minster

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...74161&recoff=9
                      That would possibly indicate that James was illegitimate.
                      Margaret

Comment

.. or that Elizabeth had been married before and 1st husband had died!
                        Post #7 possible first marriage.
                        Elaine

Comment

Elaine, many thanks for your pm. I'm having computer problems this eve (site keeps freezing) and couldn't reply through pm system - so hopefully you will read this.

Catie

Comment

Yep, thanks Catie.
                            Elaine

Comment

Elaine, just a short note to thank you for the information given yesterday. You were absolutely 'spot on' with your conclusions and I have now learnt that the Dorset History Centre have a lot of information about this family - including details of the marriage settlement between Elizabeth Gibbs and Rev James Panton. So many thanks for your help, which is much appreciated.

Catie

Comment

Great news Catie.
                                Elaine

Comment

what wonderful news... :smilee:

well done Elaine!!
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                  X