Thinking about buying a MAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying a MAC

My computer is quite old (runs on Windows) and I am thinking about buying a MAC computer. I have used FTM for a while now and am more than happy with it.

Questions: If I buy a MAC computer will I have to buy a new version of FTM especially for MAC?

If I do and install the MAC version on new computer will the information and files (including photographs) transfere from my PC to the MAC.

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but would really welcome your comments before I splash out on a new computer.

Thank you.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

I can't help you about that. I use a Mac, but when I started, there wasn't much that would work on it in the way of GedCom stuff, and what there was was very clunky. I ended up using Excel - which doesn't generate GedComs, of course.

I first got into computers by using a Mac, and have always enjoyed using them. They're usually very intuitive, and tend to be less vulnerable to viruses, at least in part because they aren't the industry standard so there's less point in devising things to attack them.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-01-12, 18:09.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for responding Christine. Wonder if anyone else has info?
      Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

The Family Tree Maker program that you use with a Windows operating system will not work on a Mac operating system
        However, there is a Mac version of the program.
        I understand that the data transfers from one to the other quite easily, although I have never done it.
        Elaine

Comment

There are also applications out there which can allow you to run Windows applications on a Mac.... but you would need to research whether these work with FTM or not
          https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Many, many thanks everyone for responding. That was an excellent link Elaine. Looks like I shall need to do some more research into the implications of having a MAC instead of a PC.

Kind regards
            Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Hi Linda,
              I have both Mac and Windows. Much prefer to use mac, its is easier to use than pc, more secure.
              You would need a new copy of Family Tree maker new edition due out in the next few days.

I have this on order.

there is an extra program to download ( free) to convert windows FTM to mac.

However there are other FT programs available from the apple app store .
              I use Reunion ( about £9 very good in a lot of ways better than FTM although FTM is by far the best for charts. Hopefully the new Mac version still has the full chart option.

Id say go for a mac. If you can wait check the apple online store regularly for refurbished mac you can find a reasonable saving.

Enjoy

Sue
              Sue ;)

Comment

Thank you all for responding. I have decided for the time being to put on hold buying a new computer. Lots of information given my you all which I will take into consideration later in the year.

Kind regards
                Last edited by Linda from Murton; 30-01-12, 22:09.
                Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Working...
                X