FTM 2012 is this a bargain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2012 is this a bargain ?

had an email from Avenquest offering me an upgrade to FTM 2012 incl 1 months essentials for £19.99 incl postage , question is bargain or not ?

You can get the Avanquest FTM 2012 Platinum edition including 6 months Premium membership of Ancestry for £29.99 from both Currys & PC World, which I think is a much better deal for the extra tenner

Comment

guess it depends on what you are using at the moment.. which version of FTM I mean.. and whether your Ancestry sub is due for renewal or not, not sure whether you can still 'tack' on the freebie to your current sub or not.

I have FTM2011 & also have FTM2012, not much between them tbh, though I know that I dont use it to the full extent that you should!
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thanks for replies ,to be honest I dont like my 2010 version, cant get on with it, but this is the upgrade incl the sync which would be good.
        But if its that cheap with the sub then I wont bother.

Comment

I havent used the tree sync feature Val, not sure that I want to tbh, as I have alot of info on my tree that I would rather not disclose to an online tree.

can you not have a look at the various versions, and compare them?
          Julie

Comment

I dont think just anybody can see your tree Julie you can make it private, thing is I have more than one PC so you can update one FTM then sync it to how ever many PCs you have, much easier than importing gedcoms.

Comment

I do have an Ancestry tree that I have put on info that I want to have online, my master tree is on my puter and various trees I have are only 'bits' of the master, think i'd rather keep a few little trees rather than one big one, if that makes sense.

I can see what you are saying via, the ease of syncing and that does make life easier re different puters and saving a ged between them, don't suppose you will know really until you try it, and if you don't like it then, you could always sell it on?
              Julie

Comment

I made a big mistake when I started my tree I combined mine with Toms wish I hadn't and its so complicated to split them.
                I often think of starting a new one on Ancestry just for mine and doing it a bit each day.

Comment

Don't forget that at the moment the Sync feature does not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  FRANK

Comment

Val, it really is so simple to split Tom's part of the tree from yours. I'm just eating my lunch - when I've finished I'll type up some instructions and you can give it a go. In the meantime just make sure you have a current backup of your tree - which is something you should always do before fiddling with it!
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Frank in Beds View Post
                      Don't forget that at the moment the Sync feature does not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Was helping someone with it a couple of days ago ... worked perfectly!
                      Elaine

Comment

Told you Frank ask for advice on here.
                        Thats really good of you Elaine I do back up regularily.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          Was helping someone with it a couple of days ago ... worked perfectly!
                          Its odd that bit of it, have 2 linked 1 works perfectly now (though took me 2 goes at setting up) other cant get to work, but 1 that works is a terrific help. Will have another go at getting other to work, they have made changes since last tried, so will see what happens

Comment

Also make sure there is no update available for the program - they have certainly issued one since 2012 came out.

Click on HELP on menu bar -> Check for Update
                            Elaine

Comment

For Val. I am using 2012 but I don't think the instructions are going to be any different for 2010.

Open tree!
                              FILE -> EXPORT -> SELECTED INDIVIDUALS

Choose Tom in the list on the left - in the middle column click INCLUDE - Tom should move to the right hand column
                              Go back to left hand column - choose Tom again In the left hand column - click ANCESTORS

You will then get another box come up (see my image) - on this one click
                              • include all parents
                              • include all spouses
                              • include ancestor's descendants (tick this box)
                              • generations of descendants to include (enter 99 - although I am sure you haven't got 99 generations on Tom's tree but it means you will get what you have!)
                              Click OK

Now you have Tom, all his ancestors and all their descendants in the right hand column. Click OK

You now get the EXPORT options box - (see image below)
                              Keep the individuals at SELECTED INDIVIDUALS
                              Output format = Family Tree Maker
                              I would tick all the other boxes other than privatise living people
                              Click OK

Then give it a file name - different name to the file you are using - and save to your hard drive.
                              Open in FTM and you should have Tom and his tree.
                              Elaine

Comment

that all looks too easy Elaine , thanks very much will get myself shut in here and concentrate.

Comment

It really is very easy Val. Shout if you get stuck.
                                  Elaine

Comment

ooh I am glad you have done this Elaine, I might have a sit down tonight and have a go at splitting mine...
                                    Julie

Comment

Thats good Julie hope we both manage it.
                                      Can I ask a question about my WD Passport external hard drive, just backed up my stuff and thought I'd view whats on there , and cannot find todays new Gedcom for my tree ??? do hope I have not been under the assumption its doing it each time I back up and it isn't ???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                        Thats good Julie hope we both manage it.
                                        Can I ask a question about my WD Passport external hard drive, just backed up my stuff and thought I'd view whats on there , and cannot find todays new Gedcom for my tree ??? do hope I have not been under the assumption its doing it each time I back up and it isn't ???
                                        erm, I have no idea Val..

when I shut my FTM down it generally backs up, but, I guess I should do a 'physical' back up too, (as that is something else I havent done..!)

baaaaaaaaaaaaaddddd Julie
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X