court cases in newspapers? 18th century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• court cases in newspapers? 18th century

i'm wondering if i could find a newspaper article about a probate lawsuit from 1776? the man concerned is joseph darvall d.1772 at fort marlborough in the east indies.

his widow submitted her side of the lawsuit in the national archives, and i have those papers, but they do not give joseph darvall's family's response or the verdict of the case.

the widow was not mentioned in the will, and sued for a share, as she had a letter by her husband promising to provide for her in event of his death. the letter was written before marriage in 1771.

maybe contact the NA and see if they have any additional papers Kyle? or try googling..

sorry that I don't have anything else to offer.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

i've tried googling julie. i might take another look at the catalogue though, try under his name instead of the widow's.

Comment

hmm could only find the ones i already have. maybe it is worth an inquiry to see what may have happened to the papers if they arn't complete and in the collection.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          hmm could only find the ones i already have. maybe it is worth an inquiry to see what may have happened to the papers if they arn't complete and in the collection.
          true, if you dont ask, you dont get! :smilee:
          Julie

Comment

well i emailed them, here's hoping they have some answers!

Comment

fingers x'd Kyle :smilee:
              Julie

Comment

Have you tried the London Gazette archives online?

They're free, and OCR-searchable. It is likely to be very clinically described, but could narrow down your search for when you're looking in the newspapers.

You'll need to download them to be able to magnify it to be readable:
                Gazette Issue 12137 published on the 18 November 1780. Page 3 of 4
                Gazette Issue 12148 published on the 26 December 1780. Page 7 of 8

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-01-12, 15:29.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you seen this site?

Bob
                  http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

thankyou christine, i have got them now...very interesting.

thanx bob, i had seen that site. his third wife was the one i'm interested in.

Comment

Working...
                    X