X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate 1920 value today

My great great grandmother left
    Effects £10,1075 6s. 8d.

This was then gambled away by my great grandfather. Does anyone have any idea what the equivalent value of that much would have been today?

Last edited by GrandmaSilver; 26-01-12, 19:36.

Thanks for that link.
    In 1920, £10,758 6s 8d would have the same spending worth of 2005's £228,184.25

Comment

Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

slightly more if you put in dollars!!

Comment

Different things have increased at different rates

For instance a small house in the 20s would have cost about £1000 so you could have bought a small row of then with your £10,000 but you could only buy one now for £200,000

Bob
          http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/ is also a good website for working out what an amount of money in the past would be worth today. You don't get a simple answer (the website uses 5 different ways of working it out) but it does underline Bob's point that different things have increased at different rates!

Kirsty

Comment

Mum always said her grandfather had been a millionaire. I suppose in house values he had. He liked to gamble and eventually mum said her Grandmother returned home from visiting relatives to find no furniture in the house, just bare floorboards! What we could have done with that money today!

Comment

Bobdonk

As it happens, my grandparents bought a 3 bed detached house (new) in 1921 for about £995. They had a garage built as an extra, for £45, lol.

Houses in the same road are now changing hands at 600K, so if they had bought TEN houses in 1921, the value of their investment would be about £6 million today.

OC

Comment

Oh that makes it even worse! How could he have lost it all!!

Comment

Working...
                  X