Can anyone help May ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help May ?

I have been trying to find out about May Blanche Murielle Lecky.
    She was born 26th Feb 1868 in Hereford to George Eardley Lecky and Mary Jane Lecky "formaly" Barlow.
    I cant find her in the 1871 census,
    The 1881 cenus has her living as "Adopted daughter" to Hannah Latcham in Lancashire.
    In 1886 she marries Harry Harrison and on this certificate she states that her father was Charles Lecky a Captain of Sailing Vessels.
    In 1891 she is living as a boarder in Leeds without Harry and her daughter Annie but with her son Charles, she now says that she was born in Paris France.
    In 1901 she is living with her family in Salford and again she says that she is from Paris.
    In 1911 she is living with another daughter called May in Manchester as a boarder, also saying that she was from Paris.
    Harry seems to be in the workhouse in 1911.
    Would I be right in thinking that George Eardley Lecky WAS her father and that Charles was made up ?
    I have a theory that George and Mary were not married. I have found a death for a Mary Jane Barlow in Hereford in 1872. George died in 1874. The Leckys were a very powerful family in Ireland and Georges mother on her remarrige became a countess.
    Any ideas please.
    Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

does it actually say on her birth certificate that George Eardley was her father?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes it does, the informant was Mary Jane her mother on the 7th April.
      Julie

Comment

George Eardley Lecky died sep 1874 Kensington age 31 x
        Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Thanks Jayne, I've got that and we are waiting for the certificate, there is also a will so I am going to send for that too and see if there is anything in there that mentions May.
          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
            Yes it does, the informant was Mary Jane her mother on the 7th April.
            then that is proof enough I guess, as you have the cert!.. what I will say though is that perhaps she didnt remember her fathers name etc.. so gave the name she thought it was, I have the same predicament in my tree, my gran gave her fathers name as George Frederick, when in fact it was Frederick Thomas!
            Julie

Comment

I might add that my grandmothers father died when she was 7yrs old (well, both her parents died within a month of each other, when she was 7)
              Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie, I thought so to. Its just good to confirm things with others incase I'm missing something.
                I just need to find a Mary Jane Barlow.
                Julie

Comment

1851 census
                  Mary J Barlow transcribed as Mary S

Jayne

Comment

Thanks Jayne. Now I just need to find out when May died.
                    Julie

Comment

Same parents in 1871
                      visitor Mary Walden widow age 33 with 3 year old child called Blanche ????????? will delve deeper
                      Jayne

Comment

sorry Woldon.
                        not found out anything on these yet x
                        Jayne

Comment

Thanks Jayne . I got a bit side tracked with George Lecky. I wonder if its the same old story, Young man who was in the Army and rich and swept Mary Jane off her feet. and then dumped her. I just think it's a bit sad that the Lecky family were very rich and poor May ended up as a charwoman and launderess.
                          Julie

Comment

i don't mean to be a bother, but how certain are you that your may claiming to be born in paris is the same one you have a birth cert for?

Comment

I don't really, just working back from 1881 census where she is listed as an adopted daughter, when the birth is Hereford, and then forward. Maybe I've got it wrong, but May Blanche Murielle Lecky is just so rare a name.
                              Julie

Comment

i realised she may used her full name on documents after i posted that!

Comment

Working...
                                X