Would The Right Elizabeth Please Stand Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would The Right Elizabeth Please Stand Up

On The 5th Jan 1815 in East & West,Church Langton leicestershire a James Clarke married an Elizabeth Warren
    & on the same date in the same church a James Clarke married an Elizabeth Rhodes the source film number & batch numbers are exactly the same for both entries. The lds also has birth records for a James Clarke bapt 14th Feb
    1790 Enderby leicestershire, Parents Job & Elizabeth, & James Clarke Born 12th Jan 1790 Great Bowden Leicestershire,Parents James & Ann. Ancestry does not have either Marriage & although there are plenty of births for Elizabeth Warren & Elizabeth Rhodes, I just dont know anything about either of them, so have no idea if any of them are right.The Enderby James & his wife Elizabeth are my
    3XGreat Grandparents & I would like to know Elizabeths maiden name,does anyone have access to the parish registers for East & West, Church Langton.
    Jen

hello Jen,

did they have any children born after 1837? if they did, then a birth cert for one of them will give Elizabeths maiden name.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

ah I see that John Oliver was the last child born in 1836 thats a pity..
      Julie

Comment

That would have been too easy, I have the marriage cert for their daughter Jemima Adelaide, I had hoped the witnesse's might have given me a clue but they were Matthias & Mary Cox Jemima's sister & Brother in law.
        jen

Comment

I had a look and tracked James & Elizabeth thru the census, and not a lot of information is forthcoming is it? I also saw the marriages, and they are not very helpful are they?

I wonder, have you looked at the 'other' couple? and tracked them thru the census, maybe that one of the parents were living with them later in life.. or a sibling, that might tie the family to the other Elizabeth..
          Julie

Comment

oh, another thought, what about wills? did any of the family leave any/or mention other family members?
            Julie

Comment

Hi Jen,

I don't have access to the actual registers, but I do have the next-best thing, which is the Leicestershire marriage index 1801-1837, which has the following entry:

Clarke James / Elizabeth Rhodes / L / 1815 / LaW
              (entered as Warren instead of Rhodes in register in error. Note by entry.)

L means married by licence; the actual licence should be available from the Leics. Record office in Wigston if you want it.
              There's a list of parish abbreviations, but LaW isn't in it. They have LaC for Church Langton, LaH for Thorpe Langton and LaT for Tur Langton.

I assume LaW means West Langton.

Information about the Langtons from Genuki:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-01-12, 13:27.

Comment

Nice one, Mary - isn't it amazing what useful "bits" people have to hand? I love this site!

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

brilliant Mary, now at least Jen can go back with the RHODES side of things..
                  Julie

Comment

I see there are two likely baptisms for Elizabeth on the new familysearch site: one in Church Langton (East & West) and one at St. Margaret's, Leicester. The second one is the most likely to be correct, because on one of the censuses she gives her birthplace as St. Margaret's.

If you get the marriage licence, it isn't likely to give the parents' names, unless one or both parties were under age, but it should give the spouses' ages, parishes and occupations. I must say, though, that I've found ages given on marriage licences a bit suspect sometimes.

Comment

might there be marriage bonds as well then Mary? (am not sure when/what era of time these were used upto)
                      Julie

Comment

Yes, they have a card index at Wigston with the details, and the actual documents are on microfilm.
                        I can never remember the correct terminology; I think what they have is actually marriage bonds and allegations.
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-01-12, 17:41.

Comment

yes I think you are right there Mary, I remember when I went I did have a look at some as I thought that they were connected to my RIPPINS/RIPPONS, but I still didnt get very far with them, so much to look at and so little time..
                          Julie

Comment

Darksecretz, Thank you for your help, im going through the wills & probate on ancestry, lots of James Clarkes in leicester.
                            Mary, Thank you for that YAY I now know her maiden name, Ive found her birth in 1790 on my St Margarets parish records father Samuel, mother Alice,on the 1851 census Elizabeth gives her age as 57 which gives a birth year of c1794 & on the 1861 she gives her age as 68 giving a birth year of c1793, its a few years difference, does it matter, the only other record I could find was for an Emma Elizabeth Rhodes christ 5th July 1878 Father Joseph Mother Matilda. Jen

Comment

what year was the second elizabeth? 1878 doesn't seem right. do any of the possible parents names carry down the family? that would help me with the family.

Comment

Hi kylejustin, The 2nd Elizabeth is way to late, I only mentioned her because she is the only other Elizabeth Rhodes I found in the Parish register, Non of the names have carried down to any of the children.
                                Jen

Comment

mary said she would go with the elizabeth rhodes born in st margarets leicester, as that was what your elizabeth gave for a birthplace. maybe you should look into her family and see if you can rule her out?

Comment

Jen,

I have just had a thought, we have several members here that goto Leicester RO, maybe if you PM one of them they might be able to help you?

you could try Mike, I know he has done lookups before now. http://www.familytreeforum.com/priva...o=newpm&u=1230

he may be able to have a look at 'marriage bonds & allegations' esp if James/Elizabeth were married my Licence.
                                    Julie

Comment

kylejustin,im looking now for both Elizabeths to see if I can rule 1 out
                                      Darksecretz Thank you, Ive sent Mike a message.
                                      Jen

Comment

No probs Jen, I know he hasnt been onsite much lately, but, he doesnt usually post, just does lookups for people. please let me know how you get on.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X