Black Sheep Index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Sheep Index

I found one of my ancestors on the Internet in the Black Sheep Index, which is a repository of newspaper articles on criminals, divorce cases etc. I have been trying to contact the person who runs it to get a copy of the information on my ancestor but I am getting no response. Last time I tried to find the index website that too seemed to have disappeared. Does anyone know what has happened and if this sort of information is available elsewhere or if someone else has taken over the Black Sheep Index?
    Liz

Welcome to the forum.

The Black Sheep Index website still seems to be active - http://www.blacksheepindex.co.uk/index.htm

You may be able to find something in the newspaper archives - not sure where you live but in the UK you can often get access to these via your local library.

You may find some useful links in our reference library -

- or if you want to give some details we could see if we can find anything for you.
    Elaine

Comment

The one time I used the site Black Sheep Index, you had to download the form and print it off to request the information and sent it by post as this could not be done on line, I did get quite a lot of information on the railway worker that I had requested info about but it turned out to be not my rellie.

It was a few years ago though

Edna

Comment

I found them very helpful and I was pleased with the obituary they had on my railway worked g.grandfather, which had been placed in a Railway magazine.
        I do hope they are still operating as they had some of the more unusual records available.

Comment

Thanks, Elaine. I tried emailing again but I have not got a reply. Do you think there is any point in mailing them? I am in Australia. I had a wonderful time at the British Newspaper Library a few years ago but was not looking for this particular ancestor then. I am guessing it was one of the more salacious newspapers because it was more than likely to do with a divorce. The couple's names, listed in Black Sheep Index, are Henry Archibald and Phyllis Mary Bellville, of Market Harborough, in 1903.

Comment

Hi Liz,

There is a couple of newspaper articles, for the couple you mentioned, on this website:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.c...rontpage=false

You do have to buy credits to view the articles.

Edit to add: There is 7 results between 3rd and 6th December 1903,
            this link should take you straight to the results:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.c...ry%20archibald
            Last edited by Kelly; 30-01-12, 09:56.

Comment

I have had a good result from Black Sheep before now, too. Looking at the front page it does say the website will be completely upgraded early in 2012 so maybe he's busy doing that and not available for business at the moment?

Anne

Comment

I believe that the owner of blacksheepindex died last year. Having tried without success to contact his widow it may be that the site has now lapsed. I can't access it, although the registration remains active. Any news would be appreciated.

Comment

Welcome to FTF, labertx!

I must say that I was getting the impression that the Black Sheep Index site seemed to have gone into abeyance. Your info makes sense in that context. Has anything been mentioned in the Lost Cousins Newsletters?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, it was mentioned in the LC newsletter dated 19 November 2011 - see the section headed Key family history sites affected by bereavement
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      Christine, it was mentioned in the LC newsletter dated 19 November 2011 - see the section headed Key family history sites affected by bereavement
                      http://www.lostcousins.com/newslette...enov11news.htm
                      I expect that's why the thought came into my head - I must have partly-remembered. Thank you, Elaine.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X