Death recorded under 2 names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death recorded under 2 names?

Mabel Nellie Norgate (nee Wedge) was widowed in 1916. In 1925 she remarries to Daniel M Leonard (All this in Liverpool area). In Sep 1956 quarter, there is a death for Mabel N Leonard, Liverpool N, ref 10d 157 aged 79. There is also a death for Mabel N Norgate, Liverpool N, 10d 157, aged 79. Would this be the same person, and why would she be listed in her previous married name as well.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

not sure Linda, not unless it was a similar scenario to my thread 'Why?'.. on here

Why?
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 25-01-12, 22:01.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just had a read through Julie, another strange entry! I was wondering whether mine might be one under official name, one under name she was known by. If they have the same reference number, they are likely to have been made at the same time aren't they? Very strange the things you find on these indexes!
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Maybe she was divorced or a marriage was bigamous.

I would expect the cert would list her as Mabel Nellie Norgate otherwise Mabel Nellie Leonard, or vice versa!
        Jay

Comment

It might just be a mistake on the index. I have a vague feeling that when a woman dies, the registrar asks if she was known by a previous name. If so, the indexer may have indexed both names by mistake. OR - the person who registered the death may have THOUGHT that she wasn't legally married (although in this case she was.)

The fact that it has the same ref number does mean it's the same person.

OC

Comment

Working...
          X