Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering do you put Step Parents in Tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering do you put Step Parents in Tree?

my mum was the only child of her parents her Mother then remarried and had two Boys, would you have put the Step Fathers Parents and siblings in your tree?? or just the Step Father and Step Brothers? Be interested to know .
    Last edited by Guest; 25-01-12, 15:37.

I have my step siblings in my tree Val, and have also been looking into their parentage, as I have a half brother whose father is my step dad. (does that make sense?)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

yes Julie it does, I did start to put them in my tree but was thinking maybe its a it silly ? although I did get on with my Step Uncle, but not My Step Grandfather.

Comment

I think its entirely personal choice, I have included them as I see them as family, even though I have two siblings I have never met.! my half brother does have his own children and if in years to come they decide that they want to know anything, then, I am able to tell them.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Its your tree, Val. You put whoever you think you would like to be connected to on it

Anne

Comment

~~ to Julie & Val

My granda had two half brothers which I added to my tree as obviously they are related by blood. As well as those half brothers we knew he also had step siblings. I researched his step father & it turned out he had been married twice & my granda had had 9 step siblings, tho some died as infant. I've added them all to my tree but haven't added parents of his step father, maybe one day I will but at the mo my tree is big & confusing enough without them plus i'm still actively researching all the other blood lines.
            Jay

Comment

True Anne , just that sometimes people contact me and they seem confused when I say they aren't directly related to me ? as if I shouldn't add them ,must say in some cases it has helped with contacts though.
              Hi Jay nice to see you, I was a bit bored looking for the same person for days so thought I'd do a different line to give me renewed interest.

Comment

I think my g'grandfather's step-mother was the only mother he knew - his own died when he was about 4yo, and his father remarried about 6 mo later - his new wife instantly becoming mother to 4 step-children. Even tho the children's father died, she continued to look out for them.

Ancestry allows you to note the relationship, but the profile does not explain the relation... :(
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 25-01-12, 22:32.

Comment

my father remarried to a lady recently, she had 2 children already. i don't like my father, and have nothing to do with him, so i don't recognise his marriage, and i certainly do not acknowledge step siblings, those children are no blood to me. it seems cold and mean, but if i got on with my father it may be different.

but i only add blood relations in the tree. if an ancestor had more than one spouse, they get added. if they have previous children who are no blood to my line, i don't add them. i just don't see the point in tracing people who are not related.

but i know a lot of the members here trace lots of different people, a few like tracing steps, married ins, neighbours, etc. i only trace them if they help me understand my own blood.

Comment

I add them, if only to show that I knew about them! I have had several useful contacts by having them in my tree.

In fact, in my tree, although there is no direct blood relationship with step sibs, a few generations back there often is, as my tree is so intermarried in the 1700s and 1800s.

OC

Comment

Thanks Photo Kyle and OC , I do see your point Kyle, but again as OC says it can give you some good contacts
                      Last edited by Guest; 26-01-12, 09:43.

Comment

I think it depends on the individual circumstances - my grandad was bought up by his stepmother (unhappily) from 6 years of age, and she already had 3 daughters. She also went on to have 3 more children with my great-grandad. I have all the children on my tree, but not the step-mother's parents or siblings. Several descendants of these step-children have been very helpful to me, and refer to me as their cousin.

Darannon

Comment

Working...
                        X