I am confused.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am confused.

My great great grandfather was Patrick Reilly born abt 1810/13 Westmeath Ireland.

He was sent out to Tasmania as a convict aboard the Hydrabad in 1849 (sentenced in Westmeath)

His convict records say he is widowed and his three children are living with his mother Elizabeth.

So I have looked on Roots Ireland and the only Patrick Reilly (or Riley) born with a mother ELizabeth born between 1803 and 1820 is the following.

Patrick Reilly born 23-3-1815
    Adress.. Killua
    Parish..Clonmellon
    Co..Westmeath
    Father....Patrick Reilly.....occupation unknown
    Mother ....Elizabeth Brannigan
    Informant.....Bridget Mangan

According to his convict record he had 3 brothers.....William, Thomas and one I can't read.......3 sisters....Mary, Bridget and one I can;t read.

I can not find the marriage of Elizabeth Brannigan to Patrick Reilly.......or the birth of any of his brothers and sisters.

Any suggestion on how and where to look would be appreciated.

you could look into hiring a researcher to go to the national library in dublin and go through the registers.

Comment

I have thought of that......but only wanted to do it as a last resort.......I am not quite ready to give up the chase yet.

Comment

there isn't much online for ireland anyway. i had someone look at co clare for me, my family weren't in the registers, which was devastating, because they should have been, but i was so relieved i didn't pay the heritage centre.......hundreds of dollars and they wouldn't have been able to give me anything but the griffiths page that i already had!

Comment

More and more parish records are coming online at:findmypast.ie. It is a pay per view site though you can do a fair bit of searching for free before you have to decide whether to pay or not. They are also putting online prisoner records which you can search for free and only pay if you find someone interesting you want. You can either pay by sub or credits. One to keep your eye on as more records become available as the months go by.

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

(O') Reilly is a very common name.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 25-01-12, 12:18.

Comment

Kylejustin....are you saying I still might still have the wrong Patrick Reilly as the records maybe incomplete?

Janet.....I have membership with Ancestry.......and I am lucky enough to have his lifes details once he arrived inTasmania...............it is his prior life in Ireland I am after......such as his first wife and three children.............and confirming his parents and brothers and sisters.

Thank you for looking for me.

Comment

no flashie, in my case, the records began in 1828, and i had an ancestor who was a middle child born 1835ish. but the family was absent from the registers full stop, even thought the mother was having kids in the 1820's and 30's.

what i'm saying is maybe a researcher could look through the registers and find the other family members, or maybe the entry says hey were from a different parish.....

Comment

Hi flashieboy

Just wondering how you went with finding information about Patrick Reilly? Patrick is my paternal 3x great grandfather.
                I am also looking for his birth details especially which village or town in County Westmeath.
                I'm also keen to find information about the family he left behind in Ireland in particular what happened to his children following his transportation to Hobart.
                I have researched his life after he arrived here and it is interesting to note that his life followed a similar path to the circumstances he was in when in Ireland.

Look forward to hearing how your research is going...

Comment

Flashieboy hasn't been on for a while Cameo. So I have sent him a Private Message to tell him of your post.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you Chrissie Smiff

Comment

You may find something on this although it will take you a bit of time.

This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

Comment

I was looking for ancestors in Co. Leitrim c1830/40's but couldn't find the marriage and only 3 of the children's baptisms. I was told this was because the records for that parish hadn't survived.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Cameo59............I have sent you a message on here.....................how exciting.

Thanks for the message letting me know Chrissie.

Comment

Originally posted by flashieboy View Post
                            Cameo59............I have sent you a message on here.....................how exciting.

Thanks for the message letting me know Chrissie.
                            You are both very welcome and I hope that you will enjoy exchanging information with each other.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                            X