Skegness Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skegness Blog

A couple of snippets from an interesting site for Skegness and surrounding areas, http://skegness.wordpress.com/

Violent Thunderstorm in Lincolnshire
    THUNDER STORM

Wednesday last, the 17th inst., the town of Spilsby was visited by an awful thunder storm. The rain, with hail, poured down in torrents for nearly two hours.

At Aswardby, near Spllsby, Mrs. Ailsby, wife Mr. Barkwith Ailsby, was instantly killed as she was taking bread from the oven: the electric fluid descended down the chimney, split the same below the roof the house, broke the windows, and melted the lead.

At Hundalby near Spilsby, the chimney of Mr Coupland was much damaged the quantity of hail and rain that descended, and which drove the soot down the chimney amongst ten young children (scholars), making them as black as sweeps. Fortunately the outer door was open, and from the fright the infants ran screaming into the street, tumbling one over the other into the water.

The electric fluid broke a glass window in a room under the same roof, melted the lead, and made the warming pan therein black as gunpowder; fortunately the occupiers were from home: when the door was opened a strong sulphurous smell issued from the room.

At East Keal, the peas and beans in the garden of Mr Parker, brickmaker, were literally torn up by the roots.
    It is supposed that the hailstones lay more than 18 inches deep.

Source: Leicester Journal – Friday 26 July 1816

Collapsed Across a Grave
    COLLAPSED IN SKEGNESS CHURCHYARD

Albert Dennis, an elderly man, employed as a monumental stonemaker’s assistant, was discovered lying across grave in Skegness churchyard yesterday had been engaged in work on gravestones, when he collapsed, and had apparently lain for some time before being found.

He was removed to hospital, where died soon after admission.

Source: Nottingham Evening Post – Saturday 17 March 1928
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 25-01-12, 07:56.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Monkey Escapades in Skegness
    Getting Even With Rosie

Monkey in the Limelight at Skegness

Bedroom Incident

Jacko, a Skegness monkey, is evidently jealous of the notoriety achieved by Rosei, the elephant.

Jacko belongs to a rival amusement caterer, and yesterday afternoon, on hearing that Rosie’s brief spell in the limelight had terminated, he indulged in a successful ruse which gave him his liberty.

Visitors were surprised to see a monkey skipping along the Parade, and as their attentions became too pressing Jacko sought refuge on the roof of a cinema. He subsequently made a tour of investigation, and late last night was seen near the Seacroft Hotel. Where he spent the night is known only to himself, but this morning a lady visitor on South Parade screamed and sprang hurridly from her bed on seeing a monkey leap through the open window. Jacko apprecisted the delicate situation, and left immediately.

Nuts, bananas, and other tempting foods are being offered, but so far without effect, and if Jacko feels the pangs of hunger he evidently values his liberty and the prospect of getting even withe Rosie still more!

Source: Nottingham Evening Post – Friday 27 September 1929

Skegness Fugitive Monkey

The fondness of Peter, the monkey, for Skegness bedrooms has led to his falling into a [trap] today.

A rope was hitched on to a bedroom window on the Sandbeck Hotel, and just inside were oranges and a selection of toothsome morsels.

After a night out on the tiles Peter [was] hungry, and, spotting the oranges, he jumped through the window into the bedroom.

[The] zoo attendant pulled the rope, but to the [surprise] of onlookers the rope only pulled a nail [out].

Peter slipped out of the still open window to a rain pipe, and gained the roof again [dropping] an orange among the spectators in [his] hurry.

Just afterwards Peter was silly enough to venture again, and this time the window was [swiftly] pulled down, and Peter was taken back into captivity.

Source: Nottingham Evening Post – Saturday 28 September 1929

Author Note;

Note: Some of the words in the second article are difficult to decipher due to the binding of the old newspaper. I have therefore inserted my own words in brackets.

These two articles were written on consecutive days, and it seems strange that TWO monkeys escaped at the same time!

The Sandbeck Hotel was situated on South Parade in the area where Wolfies is today.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 25-01-12, 07:56.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
    X