Not On Census....Why ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not On Census....Why ?

Hi, If someone did not appear on the 1911 census, what could be the reason? I know that they were still alive, and it is unlikely that they were out of the country, this person would have been eleven years old at the time of the census.....any ideas ? Regards Del.
    Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

depends.. they could be mistranscribed, or in an institution somewhere..

if you would like to put their name up and where they were born etc.. then we can have a look for you.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Lots of reasons

1. you can't find them rather than they are not on the census
      2. the schedule they are on has been lost or destroyed
      3. the enumerator failed to include their schedule
      4. the person has been listed under a name of the previous householder by mistake

Perhaps you could tell us the name and we can help see if they are not to be found at all!
      Margaret

Comment

His name was Hugh Joseph Clarke, born Ardrossan Scotland in 1900. Regards Del.
        Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

Comment

Where are the parents in 1911?
          Elaine

Comment

Elaine, his mother, is in Ardrossan, his brother is in Ireland with his grandmother, and his father has vanished,[can't find him on census either], have checked both Sotland and Ireland. Regards Del.
            Last edited by Del 80; 25-01-12, 17:09.

Comment

Can you give the name of his father and anything else you know about him, e.g. year/place of birth
              Elaine

Comment

I thought this was ringing bells! Seem to have been here before!
                Elaine

Comment

So looking at the other thread it appears that Samuel and Susan separated in 1899 or thereabouts and she went to Scotland to start again.

There is also some question as to whether Samuel had a middle name of James or even whether James was in fact his name!

Have you checked the prisons in Ireland for 1901 and 1911 as sometimes they only have the initials for inmates rather than full names.

Margaret

Comment

Have you tried poor relief records for Ardrossan? If Hugh was put in an institution or boarded out that might give some clues. There are indexes online at http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/poorrelief.php (you have to register to use this site but it's free to do so).

Kirsty

Comment

Hi all, Thanks for your replies, yes Elaine, we have been here before, but this is the son of the elusive Samuel Clarke, I have his birth, I have him on 1901 census, I have his two marriages and I have his death, just wondered where he was in 1911. Regards Del.
                      Last edited by Del 80; 25-01-12, 17:17.

Comment

Working...
                      X