Burial records for a young baby.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burial records for a young baby.

I am trying to help a friend find parents for a child whose birth and death were registered in the same quarter on GRO index.... March Q. 1889. The possible 2 fathers were brothers, but other children's ages mean she could belong to either
    This morning I found her burial recorded in the archives at Canterbury on 6 March 1889 aged 15 days.
    I looked for her baptism in the same church and in 4 other churches nearby in Dover, but couldn't find her.
    To be recorded in the church burial records, ....it gave the name of the minister who officiated, would she have been baptised?
    ( later and earlier probable siblings were all baptised. )

Gwyn

for a child whose birth and death were registered in the same quarter on GRO index.... March Q. 1889.
    it might be that she wasn't baptised at all Gwyn, as you have a birth for her, I would think that they registered her and didn't have her baptised, (as this is after the 1875 enforcement of registration).. so, you might not find a bapt at all, just a birth ref.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I don't think unbaptised children could normally be buried in consecrated ground, although perhaps it depended on how strict the local vicar was.

Comment

mebbe the vicar or whoever said a few words at the burial? I dont know the protocol but, maybe this did happen..
        Julie

Comment

my uncle died mins after birth he want he so ive been told is buried at the end of someone else grave the day he died as he was classed as still birth i am lead to belive the burial was a cash in hand job

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

I don't know whether being recorded in the burial register would mean that she is in the churchyard or the local cemetery.
            Does there have to be a service in church for it to be recorded so?

Vastly different date I know, but my grandfather's burial is not in the parish records when he was buried in the nearby cemetery by the parish vicar. ( 1950s)
            Was this usually the case ?
            Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 24-01-12, 17:53.

Comment

I've found lots of infant burials in the CofE registers that weren't baptised, mostly aged a few mins, hours & days etc.
              Jay

Comment

She may have been privately baptised and the Vicar hasn't recorded it.

I have seen burials, admittedly much earlier than this, which say "No service" and as these are normally of infants, I take it they were unbaptised.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
                  Thank you for your replies.

I don't know whether being recorded in the burial register would mean that she is in the churchyard or the local cemetery.
                  Does there have to be a service in church for it to be recorded so?

Vastly different date I know, but my grandfather's burial is not in the parish records when he was buried in the nearby cemetery by the parish vicar. ( 1950s)
                  Yes, he'll be recorded in the cemetery register as that's where he was buried, his funeral service will most likely of been at the church but as he wasn't buried in the graveyard he won't be recorded in the burial register.
                  Jay

Comment

is the cemetery run by the Local Council? if so, then they have their own burial books, that the entry and grave number will be recorded in it.

~~~ to Jay.. :smilee:
                    Julie

Comment

Re. my grandfather, I do know where he is buried and have visited his grave many times. That was why I was surprised not to find it recorded in parish burial registers. The cemetery is council run and shows the parish vicar conducted the burial. I do remember that vicar was often absent-minded and wondered whether it should normally be noted in parish registers as well as council records.

I think my best course re. the baby is to find where she was buried and see if there is additional information. Failing that, my friend will buy either birth or death certificate to find her answer.

Comment

Gwyn,

I am pretty sure that the 'Parish Burial registers' & the 'Council Registers of Burial' are two separate entities, one being for the churchyard, and one being for the actual municiple cemetery. I have seen many instances in the Council Burial Registers where the vicar from any number of churches has performed ceremonies, but, those burials are not recorded in the Parish Records.

I guess I'm quite lucky really, as the main cemetery near to where I live are actually online free to view, (this is a council run one) before this came online I had to go 12 miles to the Archives to look at the registers!.. (and the local library in the town, doesn't have those on Fiche.. just the Prs!)..

I hope you have some luck Gwyn with the baby
                        Julie

Comment

We think we have worked out the parents for the baby...well 99% anyway, so I will still go into Dover to check any documents there.
                          When checking parish registers for baptisms I noted other entries for the children of the 2 brothers and fortunately addresses were shown. Other notes show that one brother lived at one house before and after the birth / death of the baby who died, so she is probably his brother's child.

Thank you everyone who helped with information.

Gwyn

Comment

Info on this thread has helped me with some ideas about my dad's younger sister who lived for just a few days.

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                            X