Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Certificates

Good morning all.

Over the post 12 months I have been researching mine and my wife's family tree (Rogers/Carruthers).

I have been doing very well, so well that I have worked out that I am related to my youngest brother by marriage as well .

OK, one stumbling block is my Granddad on my late Dads side.

I have a copy of my Dads birth certificate showing that his Dad was a plasterers assistant going by the name of Harold.

I cannot find any trace of him on any census in the 1911 and prior Census in Bradford so was wondering (as I know the date of my Granddads wedding) would a copy of the certificate in 1923 show his accurate date of birth?

I hope all the above makes sense :D

Paul
    "Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing"

Marriage certs do not show a date of birth, they give an age in years and that of course is only as accurate as the person giving the information.

However, the marriage cert will give his father's name and that should help you track him down on census.

Do you want to put up his name here and we will see what we can find for you?

OC

EDIT - Derhhh! Sorry, Im still half asleep, you have given his name already!
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 24-01-12, 11:13.

Comment

The marriage cert would probably only give and age eg 23 or 'of full age' or 'minor'

If you know when he died that should give his date of birth as long as it is fairly recent presuming the person that registered his death know the exact date and it should give his birth place
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Hi Paul
        No, the marriage certificate would give you his age(or the age that he told them!), his occupation and hopefully his fathers name and occupation.
        Have you found his death reference? His death certificate, depending on when he died, should give you either an approx year of birth or if later an actual date of birth - as KNOWN by the person registering the death.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-01-12, 11:13.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

p.s. I've just had a quick look. Did he die in Bradford in 1984? This death gives a brth date of 13th August 1898.

Comment

You need the marriage certificate for his fathers name Paul. I have just checked and there are too many births that fit the date but non actually in Bradford.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Marriage certs do not show a date of birth, they give an age in years and that of course is only as accurate as the person giving the information.

However, the marriage cert will give his father's name and that should help you track him down on census.

Do you want to put up his name here and we will see what we can find for you?

OC

EDIT - Derhhh! Sorry, Im still half asleep, you have given his name already!
              LOL from the death records it shows him passing away in 1984 and DOB as 13th Aug 1898.

Now from what I can see he wasn't in the Bradford area in either 1901 or 1911, was married in 1923 in Bradford, so maybe he was hiding in a cupboard when the census guy came round
              "Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing"

Comment

You mean my Great Granddads name?

Comment

Hello Paul,

Welcome to the forum, I have moved your query to our Family History Research forum,

just to clarify, your Granddad was Harold ROGERS yes? and married in Bradford 1923, Do you know IF your Granddad came from the area at all? it might be that he didnt live locally, but, met your Grandmother through his work (maybe he had to travel to find it?)
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

IF he did come from Bradford this could be his birth

Name: Harold Rogers
                    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1899
                    Registration district: Bradford
                    Inferred County: Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire
                    Volume: 9b
                    Page: 112
                    Julie

Comment

Sorry Paul, yes. I mean the marriage cert of Harold should give you HIS fathers name which would hopefull help to locate him on a census. If his birth date on his death record is correct he does not appear to have been born in Bradford and probably moved between 1911 census and 1923 marriage either with his family or alone.

Comment

Oh I didn't see that one Julie - well done

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          well it might be the right one, though, the registration if it is right, wouldn't that be a little late for an August birth the previous year?

I think that the marriage cert really needs to be ordered though in order for us NOT to rush into things and speculate, as I'm sure that Paul would not want to run the risk of chasing the wrong family.
                          Julie

Comment

Yes Julie I agree, I do get a bit carried away sometimes but I did say that he needs the marriage cert

Comment

Yes Julie I agree, I do get a bit carried away sometimes but I did say that he needs the marriage cert
                              yep, best course of action.. :smilee: it IS 6 weeks isnt it for a birth reg? to take place
                              Julie

Comment

The only positive things I know is that his name was Harold, and was a, at the time of my Dads birth, plasterers assistant/mate and that he married Ada Myers in the 2nd Qtr of 1923.

I cannot be certain of his year of birth so could be 1898 or 1899.

Comment

Definitely get the marriage certificate. It might seem expensive if you are then going to get the birth certificate but you really need to be sure. The 1923 marriage certificate will give his father's name and this will help you/us pin him down on the 1901 and 1911 censuses, where he may be mistranscribed/mangled/added to another family!!!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by plprogers View Post
                                    The only positive things I know is that his name was Harold, and was a, at the time of my Dads birth, plasterers assistant/mate and that he married Ada Myers in the 2nd Qtr of 1923.

I cannot be certain of his year of birth so could be 1898 or 1899.
                                    I would then, get that cert, (unless you are certain that it isnt in any old suitcase/box that came from your fathers possessions?)
                                    Julie

Comment

are you able to go in person to the relevant office Paul and collect? this would save ordering from the GRO and having a wait of about a week
                                      Julie

Comment

I have just checked Ancestrys WYAS for a marriage, thought it might save you the money! but I can't see a likely marriage there, (so it might have been in a Registry Office and not a Church one)
                                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 24-01-12, 12:05.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X