Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married cousins on a Family Tree

Hi all

Help please!! My great grandparents were cousins who married. Their mothers were sisters.

How do I set the tree up so that there can only be one branch from this tree and not 2 of the same?

If that makes sense!!
    Lauren =)

Sounds like you're wondering about setting it up in a genealogy database? What application are you using?

Comment

I have a couple of trees online- ancestry and GR. And I have family tree maker. But I can't seem to get the tree right using any of those.

Is there any other one that anyone can recommend?
      Lauren =)

Comment

have FTM and I have myself and my OH (who are 1st cousins) and we appear OK and only as one. The only time we are duplicated is if you want to make a chart or print out as a tree!
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Don't think you can do it with GR or Ancestry.But with a genealogy software programme:-when entering a partner for the first time, do you have a choice of adding either a new person, or an existing tree member?Also with most of them there is a feature for merging 2 records?Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-01-12, 14:43.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Using FTM for printing trees you can select 'cousin smart' which recognises the situation and does not print duplicate lines. I have such a scenario in my tree for two of my grandmothers sisters whose offspring married.
            I don't think there was a problem in entering them on the tree as has been said you can select someone already in the tree. I'm sure the same applies on ancestry trees as I have used the facility to correct duplications on someone's tree where they got in a bit of a muddle when they first started using the system.
            Margaret

Comment

With FTM you can merge duplicated individuals.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I don't use it, but I'm surprized the Family Historian users haven't weighed in!

You might want to look at the software category. I think this problem has been discussed there.

Comment

Of course, we can do almost anything with Family Historian! However it amounts to the same thing. ie. the person will only appear once in the database but if you generate a chart they could both appear twice. There are ways of manipulating the chats to avoid complete duplication of the same family.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    Using FTM for printing trees you can select 'cousin smart' which recognises the situation and does not print duplicate lines.
                    Which version of FTM is that? I haven't found any way of doing it with FTM 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      Which version of FTM is that? I haven't found any way of doing it with FTM 2006.
                      Make sure both entries match exactly with name spelling, dates of events etc, then in one of the menus (can't remember which it is now, maybe the people menu?) you merge the duplicated name/person.

Wonder if i did something in the boards one day, if I did I'll add the link.

Edit

Not the exact thing Mary but post #30 in the tips thread shows the menu you need, click the image and you should see the " merge duplicate people" option from the menu you will need

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 24-01-12, 15:40.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I use FTM 2010 but on reflection maybe it's the Charting Companion I use that came with FTM2006 and which I find invaluable for printing easy charts.

I'll have a look at FTM and see whether it is on there or not.

Margaret

Comment

I don't need to merge them, Glen - there's only one person in the actual tree, but when you print it out, they're always duplicated, with a number after them.

I don't remember getting a Charting Companion with FTM 2006 - I'll have to check the CD it came on.

Comment

I don't remember getting a Charting Companion with FTM 2006 - I'll have to check the CD it came on.
                            It used to come as a separate disc Mary, bundled with FTM depending on the package purchased.
                            I've never been able to get my head round it ... waiting for Margaret to show me how to use it! :D
                            Elaine

Comment

Have checked FTM 2010 and 'cousin smart' is not an option for charts.

It is on Charting Companion - sorry about that - senior moments coming thick and fast these days!! LOL

Margaret

PS - Elaine that lesson is coming soon to a place near you!
                              Last edited by margaretmarch; 24-01-12, 17:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                It used to come as a separate disc Mary, bundled with FTM depending on the package purchased.
                                OK, thanks, I must have bought a package that didn't include it.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                  PS - Elaine that lesson is coming soon to a place near you!
                                  I'm looking forward to it!

Sorry Lauren, chatting on your thread! Which version of Family Tree Maker are you using.
                                  Elaine

Comment

If you do a descendant tree (2006 version) in Options you can untick the box that says "Include duplicate descendants each time they appear"

The only difference this makes to my tree is that my son only appears once, but my OH and I still appear twice!
                                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Yes, I already have that box unchecked, but as you say, it doesn't help.

Comment

Working...
                                      X