Help with family tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with family tree

Hi i am trying to build a family tree, i have some information but not a lot as my family are not a close family, are there any free or cheap records i can look at to gain some information... thanks in advance

Depends when to a certain extent - the are that you are looking at, and what you already know.

This site is free and could be a good friend
    Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

if you want to try, click on the blue typeface and it will take you there
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 22-01-12, 17:44.
    Jess

Comment

Welcome to FTF.

It would help if you could say whereabouts you are looking at - which country/county/town and the years concerned. You can check genesreunited here http://www.genesreunited.co.uk for any of the names you have to see if anyone else in your family has already made a start.The same applies to this site http://www.mundia.com/gb where trees from Ancestry are searchable for free.

Otherwise you do have to pay for census records and there are several sites for that including ancestry, Findmypast, and Genesreunited. I think Findmypast may work out cheaper as you can do pay per view whereas the others have annual subscriptions.

You could even search the gedcom database on here to see if any of the members are connected to you.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum.

You will find quite a bit of information in our reference library - click on the tab on the navigation bar at the top of page.
        The Getting Started and Online Research sections should be particularly helpful to you.

You will find that members on here are very helpful and may offer to look things up for you on some of the subscription sites, but it's much more fun if you can do it yourself. If you are researching in England and Wales then a subscription to a site such as Ancestry or Findmypast is really the way to go and there are offers to be had so do ask before signing up for one of these!
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum.

You will find quite a bit of information in our reference library - click on the tab on the navigation bar at the top of page.
          The Getting Started and Online Research sections should be particularly helpful to you.

You will find that members on here are very helpful and may offer to look things up for you on some of the subscription sites, but it's much more fun if you can do it yourself. If you are researching in England and Wales then a subscription to a site such as Ancestry or Findmypast is really the way to go and there are offers to be had so do ask before signing up for one of these!
          I endorse Elaine's suggestions. If you're lucky enough to be researching families who lived in some particular areas, then there are images of parish registers online. In the case of marriages, that saves you £9.25 for each one, since a certificate is simply a certified copy of the marriage register entry.

The LDS site, https://www.familysearch.org/, has increasing numbers of records online - even from week to week. You can browse a lot of parish registers there, including:
          Bristol
          Cheshire
          Cornwall
          Derbyshire (no images)
          Durham Diocese (includes parishes in Cumberland, Durham, Northumberland and Yorkshire)
          Essex (no images)
          Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire
          Norfolk
          Northumberland
          Warwickshire (no images)
          Yorkshire

And other records too, for Wales.

These are aside from their huge number of transcribed records.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Jamie

another online resource depending where you live may be one of the online parish clerks sites:

Also your local library may have a subscription to findmypast or ancestry.

If you are lucky enough to live near an LDS Family History centre you can look at records there and if you are lucky someone there may help you get started.

Regards

Bob
            http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

If you live in or near the area your family came from, then the local library and the County Archive are free to use. They often have a computer with Ancestry free to use in the premises. Us family history addicts have not forgotten that the ONLY way to do research used to be trawling through films and microfiche in libraries!

If you live a long way away from the area, then the subscription sites (although looking expensive) are much more cost effective. This is when you take into account the costs of travelling and possible staying overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                If you live in or near the area your family came from, then the local library and the County Archive are free to use. They often have a computer with Ancestry free to use in the premises. Us family history addicts have not forgotten that the ONLY way to do research used to be trawling through films and microfiche in libraries!

If you live a long way away from the area, then the subscription sites (although looking expensive) are much more cost effective. This is when you take into account the costs of travelling and possible staying overnight.
                I think even your own local library would do the same and the databases are national so it doesn't matter where you live for access to the information that you can get from ancestry and FMP.
                Margaret

Comment

I have been to our local library, the internet was having a few problems but i did find out a few things. when i was looking at records for example it would have my nanas name and her mothers maidam name, but nothing else, i thought i would be able to see her parents names, is there anyway i could find these in 1 place..... thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Thorpe View Post
                    I have been to our local library, the internet was having a few problems but i did find out a few things. when i was looking at records for example it would have my nanas name and her mothers maidam name, but nothing else, i thought i would be able to see her parents names, is there anyway i could find these in 1 place..... thanks
                    You have to buy a birth certificate to find the full details of parents. They cost £9.25 from GRO look here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp. If you want to be sure of your family tree you do have to get certificates to 'prove' your lines.

If your grandparents were born before 1911 you might be able to see them on the 1911 census with their parents so that would give you a better start for going back which is mainly how you do it and then confirm with the birth, marriage and death certificates.
                    Margaret

Comment

You could check the marriage index for the surname and then cross check the results with the mother's maiden name and if the names are not too common you might find the parties to the marriage and thus the parents. But I do stress you need to get the birth certificate to be certain.
                      Margaret

PS if you are sure the people are deceased you could put their names on here and we'll see if we can help.
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-01-12, 18:09.

Comment

Working...
                      X