Help please with my FENWICK tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please with my FENWICK tree

I have been doing my FENWICK tree and thought I had done it correctly. However, after seeing someone elses tree of the same line on Ancestry, I am now doubting my findings. I have been in touch with the lady on Ancestry, and she is waiting for her laptop to get repaired so she can access her tree. I am trying to find out who the parents of George FENWICK were.
    This is what I definately know is right.
    My great grandmother Annie FENWICK was born March qtr 1868 at Shincliffe, Co Durham. Her parents were George FENWICK and Elizabeth HUTCHINSON. (Annie's birth certificate is on its way, but Register Office confirmed by email that the parents are the right ones)

Here they are on the 1871 census.

FENWICK, George Head M 31 1840 Yorkshire Boro bridge Miner
    FENWICK, Elizabeth Wife F 32 1839 County Durham, Wolsingham
    FENWICK, William Son M 12 1859 County Durham
    FENWICK, Thomas Son M 10 1861 County Durham
    FENWICK, Robert Son M 8 1863 County Durham
    FENWICK, Annie Daughter F 3 1868 County Durham Shincliffe

Piece: 4961 Folio:11 Page: 16 Registration District: Durham

Civil Parish: Brancepeth Municipal Borough: Address: Oakenshaw Row, Brancepeth County Durham

I have the marriage certificate of George and Elizabeth. They married on June 29th 1858 at Crook, Co Durham.
    Both of them were down as Minors where it asks for their ages. Both of them were living at Bowden Close (which I think was at
    Helmington Row, Co Durham) George was a Horse keeper at time of marriage, and his Father was called John FENWICK, who was a Miller.

The 1861 census for George and Elizabeth

1861 census
    FENWICK, George Head Married M 21 1840 Carter Borough Bridge Yorkshire
    FENWICK, Elizabeth Wife Married F 22 1839 Carters Wife Wolsingham Durham
    FENWICK, William Son M 2 1859 Durham
    FENWICK, Thomas Son M 0 (2M) 1861 Brancepeth Durham

Piece:
    3712 Folio:12 Page: 24 Registration District: Auckland

Civil Parish: Helmington Row Municipal Borough:
    Address: 13, Bowden Close, Helmington Row County: Durham

-------------------

George died March qtr 1872 aged 32, at Oakenshaw, Co Durham. (haven't got his death certificate)
    His widow, Elizabeth married again later on.

It is George's parents I am trying to confirm please, if someone will help me. I bought George's birth certificate but not sure if it is the right George now. Through contacting the lady on ancestry, I discovered that there are two George Fenwick's born in the same area and around the same time scale too.
    If anyone has time, please could you look at the 1841 and 1851 census for me, and try and work out who George's parents are?

I have got the info that I "thought" were the right ones, but I won't give it on here, as I would like someone to look for it with a "fresh mind" in case I am following the wrong line.

I have really been tying myself up with knots with this one!
    Last edited by Jan B; 22-01-12, 13:59.

The most likely one so far in 1851 has just let me down as his father is a farmer. I wouldn't have though he would put miller rather than farmer for his fathers occupation.
    p.s. I meant to say that the place of birth for than one has been mistranscribed nd actually reads Ellenthorpe, which is virtually Boroughbridge.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 22-01-12, 12:44.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I would think George Fenwick aged 1 in the 1841 Census with parents John Fenwick, Miller, & Ann seems promising - Parish: Thirsk, ED: 1, Page: 19 - but more research would be needed.

Kirsty

Comment

There's a John Fenwick age 30 miller living Thirsk Yorkshire in 1841
        Ann age 30, Thomas age 8, John age 7 William age 4 & George age 1 all born in the county.
        Moggie

Comment

Ahhhhhh but, the same one in 1841 is a Miller. Father John, mother Ann. Is that the ones you are thinking Jan?

Comment

Snap -sorry everyone, late as usual

Comment

Possible baptism for the William age 4 (1841)
              Born 11th June 1837 baptised 11th May SAINT JAMES GREEN WESLEYAN,THIRSK,YORK,ENGLAND.
              Parents John Fenwick & Ann Ackroyd.
              Moggie

Comment

Marriage for the above couple.
                24th Nov 1832 at South Kilvington,​Yorkshire.
                Moggie

Comment

Possible burials for John & Ann at Kirkby Ravensworth St Peter & St Felix.
                  John 23rd Sep 1894 age 83
                  Ann 1st Dec 1891 age 83
                  Moggie

Comment

Thanks everyone - just finishing my dinner and will get back to you soon. :-)

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your replies. You are all thinking the same lines as me - that George's parents were John FENWICK and Ann ACKROYD.
                      I have the same census as you have all found and also the marriage for John and Ann at South Kilvington.

Moggie - thanks for the baptism of William and the possible burials for John and Ann - I hadn't got them. Did you find them on the IGI?

However, the lady on Ancestry is also following the same line, but we can't both be right. Her George Fenwick married someone called
                      Margaret Stapylton in Dec qtr 1866 and had a family. She says her George's parents were John and Ann (Ackroyd) FENWICK and that John was a Miller, and also that her George was born in Boroughbridge too. Ho hum. I'll just have to wait till she gets her computer fixed, so we could go through all our records together. Thanks for all your help.
                      Last edited by Jan B; 22-01-12, 14:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        The most likely one so far in 1851 has just let me down as his father is a farmer. I wouldn't have though he would put miller rather than farmer for his fathers occupation.
                        p.s. I meant to say that the place of birth for than one has been mistranscribed nd actually reads Ellenthorpe, which is virtually Boroughbridge.

Chrissie - I have George's birth certificate which says he was born on 14th November 1839 at Ellenthorpe, in the parish of Aldbrough. Sub district of Boroughbridge, in the County of York.
                        His Father was John Fenwick, Agriculture labourer, his mother, Ann ACKROW (spelt like that - presume it was a variation of ACKROYD )

Now I am wondering if I have got the wrong George Fenwick's birth certificate, seeing as the lady from ancestry is following the same line too, when there is so obviously two different George Fenwick's.

Comment

Hi
                          I found the baptism on Familysearch (IGI) & the 2 burials are from the National Burial Index.
                          I have looked at the 3 trees on Ancestry & they have virtually the same info (copied?) & none of them have the marriage cert for George Fenwick & Margaret Stapylton so how can they be sure that they are following the right line. As the above George didn't marry until 1866 I think the most likely one is an apprentice blacksmith (this was his occupation in later censuses) at Baldersby born 1842 Ainderby Queenhouse, Yorkshire. He seems to change his birthplace in every following census. Borobridge, Humberton & back to Borough Bridge.
                          Moggie

Comment

Thanks very much Moggie. Yes, I had looked at the George born in 1842 too, and think it is the Ancestry lady's line. Thanks for your help - I feel a lot happier that I am indeed following the right line, and that I haven't gone wrong.

Comment

Working...
                            X