Another Shelley mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Shelley mystery

This is a follow up to my previous thread James Shelley, mystery man.

James Shelley married in 1879 at Bethnal Green & I am trying to prove if one of the witnesses Harriet Mary Ann Gowers was his sister. Her husband was Thomas Gowers born c1833 Thaxted/Writtle. I have found them in 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901. Her name varies between Harriet, Mary Ann & Ann & her year of birth fluctuates between 1836 & 1840 but her birthplace was always given as Canewdon, Essex.
    I have found a marriage for a Harriet Mary Ann Shelley in J/A/S qtr 1858 Vol 4a Page 213 at Rochford (registration district) but there are 5 people listed with the same page number when there should be only 4. I have checked the handwritten index for all of them & they all are listed as page 213.
    The other people on the page are
    Alfred Cole,
    Sarah Maria Gowlland,
    Hannah Sparrow
    & John Stock.

How can I find out who she married?

Many thanks
    Moggie

you could buy a sub to seax for a day, and check the churches in the rochford area.
    Last edited by kylejustin; 22-01-12, 10:08.

Comment

in 1861 rochford, there is an alfred cole age 29, b.1832, with wife mary anne 19, b.1842.

Comment

there is also a john stock in rochford, age 30, b.1831 with wife hannah s. age 25, b.1836. eldest child b.1858.

Comment

in the stock household is a mary sparrow, widow, 62, b.1799.

so i think hannah sparrow married john stock.
          alfred cole could have married sarah maria gowlland, and she was known as mary?

Comment

I did a search for Sep 1858 Rochford and got this list http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=rfs&gst=&so=3

I think you will need to look at each male name and see which one has the same page number but has been mistranscribed so that he doesn't come up in the list. There were obviously 3 marriages on that page.
            Margaret

Comment

Hi Kylejustin
              Thanks,I will check those out on Ancestry. The Rochford registration district back then covered a huge area, not just Rochford itself so not sure if a look up on SEAX would help. I'll have a look & see what churches & years are covered on there.
              Moggie

Comment

there isn't a thomas gower/gowers marriage in sept 1858 at all. and none for essex from 1856-1862.

Comment

i think the other 2 marriages will be in rochford church, as the couples are living in rochford in the census.

here is a widowed harriet gowers living in barking, essex in 1911. 69, b.1842 canewdon esex. she is a market gardener. staying with a rowland and lily alliston and family. she had not given any info on marriage, which i have seen some widows give.

Comment

I have checked all the male names on the Sep quarter and none are listed as page 213 that have not already come up. That's a mystery in itself.

There are 46 names altogether so that makes sense. But where is the extra man for page 213??

Margaret
                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 22-01-12, 10:42.

Comment

Looking at the image for Sarah Maria Gowlland I'm not convinced the page number is 213 it looks more like 215 to me. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=11404408

What does everyone else think?

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        in 1861 rochford, there is an alfred cole age 29, b.1832, with wife mary anne 19, b.1842.
                        Just checked this one out & Mary Ann was born at Canewdon. This looks very promising.
                        off to look for him in 1871 or find a death for him.
                        Thanks
                        Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                          Looking at the image for Sarah Maria Gowlland I'm not convinced the page number is 213 it looks more like 215 to me. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=11404408

Margaret
                          Have looked on the image with FreeBMD and it is much clearer and is def 213 for Sarah so scrap that idea!

Looks like your only option is SEAX and hope you can find something that way.
                          Margaret

Comment

here is a widowed harriet gowers living in barking, essex in 1911. 69, b.1842 canewdon esex. she is a market gardener. staying with a rowland and lily alliston and family. she had not given any info on marriage, which i have seen some widows give.

That's a brilliant find, I hadn't looked for her beyond 1901. Does the info come from Ancestry because I can't seem to find her?
                            Off to see if I can find when she died.
                            Moggie

Comment

info from fmp.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                info from fmp.
                                Many thanks for that info.
                                I think she may have died as Mary Ann Gowers in 1913, registration district Romford.
                                Would Barking come under Romford district?
                                Moggie

Comment

Oh Piffle
                                  The boy with the noose is back on Ancestry, just when it was getting interesting.
                                  Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                    Many thanks for that info.
                                    I think she may have died as Mary Ann Gowers in 1913, registration district Romford.
                                    Would Barking come under Romford district?
                                    Moggie
                                    Yes, Barking did come under Romford from 1837 to 1939.
                                    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post

Margaret
                                      looks like 215 to me too Margaret.
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Margaret.Thanks for the info that Barking came under the Romford reg district so that must be her.
                                        Julie. I went through the whole list of people married in that quarter at Rochford & there was a lone man with page number 215. I think his name was Philip Whitcombe? so that would pair him up with Sarah Maria Gowlland.
                                        I feel certain that Harriet Mary Ann Shelley did marry Alfred Cole but that marriage cert wont help because I was really looking for a marriage to Thomas Gowers & I don't think they ever married. Alfred Cole didn't die & he resurfaces in 1881 with a new "wife" Ellen Weasers but I have no idea where he was in 1871.
                                        I looked on SEAX but the records for the parishes that I am interested in are too early for this marriage. Maybe in time they will digitise more records now that they are charging to view them.
                                        Moggie

Comment

Working...
                                        X