Trade Directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Directories

I've tried a 'search' of the forum, but can't find a definitive answer to my question.

The question is "Is there an online database of UK Trade Directories?" - or does anyone know if one is planned?

I'm aware that I can pop down my local library and have a look through "local" stuff. It just seems odd, that in this digi-data* age, we still have to travel to the town we're researching to find this information.

B

[* I thought I'd just made the word "digi-data" up....but no, it's already in use ]
    Brian

the only one I know of Brian is www.historicaldirectories.org

not unless you look on www.archive.org and see if they have any directories you can read online/download
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Brian
      There are directories on Ancestry for Lancashire. It obviously depends on what years you are looking for. It looks as if they only go up to 1916.
      Moggie

Comment

Thank you.
        I'll check those links asap.

Looking for late 19th, and most of 20th C

Problem is that I'm looking for info from all over the country - and one piece of research just brings 2 more questions
        Brian

Comment

You could try this link as well -
          UK GDL Genealogical Directories and Lists Online. Complete your family history by finding web sites with on-line data so that you can answer the question: Who Do You Think You Are?
          Elaine

Comment

Ancestry has trade directories (some going up to about the 1940s) and phone books (1880-1984) for the whole country.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              Ancestry has trade directories (some going up to about the 1940s) and phone books (1880-1984) for the whole country.
              Thank you, found that - answers lots of questions
              Brian

Comment

For Scotland, the National Library of Scotland has digitised a lot of post office directories. These are on www.archive.org but the easiest way to access them is through http://www.nls.uk/family-history/dir...es/post-office

Kirsty

Comment

Working...
                X