Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 census help

Have found this for 1891

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 347; Folio 133; Page 68; GSU roll: 6095457.

but it only goes up to part of Friars Place, stops at 6 and bit am looking for is 9 Friars place, any ideas on how to find rest of record, that particular address is very important to my tree and if can find it, may help to solve problem have

You could try looking at the description of the District by clicking on 'Borough Road' the top of the image it takes you to a page where you can select District 10 which is the one your image is in and you find a narrative of where the enumerator went and what roads and streets etc his set of pages cover. If you then look at the adjoining districts in the same way you might find where the rest of the street has been covered.

I'm going to have a look on the Electoral Rolls to see if it's on there.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks for that, will work way through it, did not know you could do that

Comment

Just looked at the London Electoral Registers on ancestry and I can't readily see the area concerned.

Perhaps you could give us the name you are looking for to make it easier.

Margaret

Comment

Have checked by address on another site and that only gives up to No 6 as well.

Are you sure the address is definitely No 9 ?

Margaret

Comment

Its Clark, 9 Friars Place was my mums family home and I spent lot of time there growing up, was very surprised to find my grandfather had lived in Friars Place in 1891. mum always said that her mum and dad looked after dad and his siblings but it seems the 2 families possibly went back further than I thought. Am hoping it will give a clue to my Clark grt grt grandfather problem

Comment

Bear in mind that house/property numbers change over the decades.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Have them in 1901 census, cant be sure if as you say numbers changed, but it was such a tiny road unlikely, not there anymore, will try and get a map of area for date, it was just off Blackfriars Rd.
                In 1901 census it does have 1 and 2 as having been pulled down, so maybe there was changes, do have census for grandfather in Kell St that was not far from Friars Place, was hoping to find Clarks living at 9 as seem to remember (could be imagined)mum saying that family had been there since built right up to it being pulled down in 60's, never had electicity, it was gas mantles and grandfather sold cats meat from front of house always wondered where he kept it (but when could never thought to ask)

Comment

I'm a bit confused - doesn't take much! lol

Have you found the Clark person in Friars Place in 1891 or is it just that you surmise from what is said that it is where he must have been living?

What is the full name, year and place of birth so we can have a look for you. For 9 Friars Place there does not appear to be any record of a schedule having been returned and enumerated so that can mean any of several possibilities
                  * one completed and not enumerated
                  * address was a different number in 1891
                  * the Clark family were living somewhere else in 1891 and moved to Friars Place later

Comment

As far as I can see using address search there are 7 properties in Friars Place in 1891 and the same number in 1901 but the house numbering is different.

The numbers in 1891 are 1 to 4, 4a, 5-6

In 1901 the numbers are 3 - 9

Margaret
                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 21-01-12, 12:05.

Comment

Here they are in 1891

CLARKE, Jas Head Married M 42 1849 Cabs Meal Purveyor Southwark London
                      CLARKE, Fanny Wife Married F 40 1851 Sack Maker Walworth London
                      CLARKE, Jas Son Single M 16 1875 Printers Labourer Southwark
                      CLARKE, John Son M 13 1878 Southwark
                      CLARKE, Henry Son M 10 1881 Southwark
                      CLARKE, Mary Daughter F 7 1884 Southwark
                      CLARKE, Sarah Daughter F 4 1887 Southwark

1, Kell Street, St George The Martyr Southwark, Southwark

RG12 Piece: 348 Folio: 54 Page: 44

Comment

The Clarks are my nightmare, I get confused.
                        In 1891 Clark family am 100% sure of (have all cirts except for 1) living at 1 Kell St. there is another Clark with them a William (seems he moved with them to Friars Place by 1901), while doing my fathers (Geary) part of tree found that they were living in Friars place, what was hoping to find was if my 2nd grt grand father was already living there and that may have given me some confirmation of him.
                        The numbering you found is strange, as number of houses same but on census for 1901 1 and 2 pulled down, seem to have a memory that mum said family had lived at 9 Friars place all time house was there, being passed down (no idea who actually owned it), but that could be wrong. Did find an old map think it was in1870's it seems that It was originally Friar St. was developed and small part survived as Friar Place.
                        Thank you so much for your interest in this, its doing my head in (doesn't take much these days)

Comment

I think you have to bear in mind also that people's memories are not always completely reliable

I think you would only be able to fully resolve this by going to the local records office or library and looking at old maps/plans of the area.

Might be worth looking at the Electoral Registers on ancestry to see when No9 came into being as that covers years between the censuses.
                          Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X