Genesreunited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genesreunited

Does anyone else use GR? I have used it for years, couldn't get on it today but have managed at last, only to find that they have messed it all up, I can't make head nor tail of it, and they have deleted all my photos. They've asked for "feedback" and they have certainly got some from me! I'd like to know what others think!

Hi,
    I am a member there too. They keep playing about with the site,changing things all the time, mostly for the worse, not better.
    Not sure I like the new tree either :(
    wish they would stop messing it up. Its ok for so called computer whizz guys who set these things up, but the ordinary Joe Soap like me find it very difficult to adjust to all the upheaval.
    Not got any photos on there , think more others are complaining too. Never gets us anywhere though.

Jan x

Comment

I'd already started to transfer all my information to Tribal Pages because it's free, so I shall have to continue in earnest as long as I can sort out who belongs where, as it doesn't make sense at the moment! Very annoyed about the loss of all the pictures, just hope I can find them again.

Comment

Everyone over there is complaining, the moderators will wake up to a mountain of comments/feedback tomorrow lol.
        Just tried adding children to one branch of my tree, put in all the birth details and baptism, then where I should have been able
        to enter her marriage details, it had her parents marriage details in there !!

Comment

I havent paid for GR since 2006, and now only have a teeny weeny tree on it, though, from what has been said here, I dont think i'll bother looking.. quite content to have my GEDCOM on this site and my tree elsewhere!
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I agree with Alleycat and Janet, the new GR Family Tree layout is horrible and appears to take a lot of understanding. Like Julie I only have a very small fraction of my tree on GR and I certainly won't be adding to it with the tree as it is. I have a part of my tree on Ancestry, which does attract contacts from time to time, and the full tree stored elsewhwere.

Ian

Comment

Fed up with it all...and losing all my photos

Linda

Comment

I use Tribal Pages also and Yes, it's free but after 6 months they put adverts on your page............unless you subscribe; think I pay about £16 a year.

Comment

If you look on the Announcements board on GR, they are working on this now (19th/20th Dec) and they have apologised for any disruption - presumably it isn't up and running properly yet. I can't actually see that the tree itself is very much different from what it was before - the only big difference is that the details part of the page is now accessed from the side.

I also sent feedback to ask where the photos had gone - maybe these will appear when they've finished working on it. One improvement they don't seem to have made though, is that it still isn't possible to scroll up and down the tree - it takes forever to move up and down with the arrows,

Comment

This is part of one of the replies from the GR team on their board (hope I'm allowed to quote from there?):

The tree has changed? The tree part of Genes has been in redevelopment for a while now in a different team from the regular Genes developers (although they only sit a few feet away). And they have been going through the same process. Some members have had an opportunity to see the new tree in beta, but we felt it was the right time to make the plunge and move to the new tree permanently. Yes there are some issues, these are being worked on right now. But all in all the feedback we have received guided us that the vast majority were in favour. Some features have been temporarily removed so that the general use of the tree is unaffected, but they should be back soon. Again the reasons for this redevelopment is so that we can implement those things that have been requested time and again, like better printing, multiple trees, etc.

Maybe we should give them chance to complete it.

Comment

I only have a skeleton tree on GR since the last time they messed about and suddenly showed all living people and one's real name, rather than a board name, so I'm honestly not much interested in any "improvements" they make. It is however, a very serious mistake to have your entire tree only on GR - what if they went bust tomorrow, where would your tree be?

I also had a bit of a snigger at some of the indignant remarks on GR, such as "I have over 50,000 people on my tree and can't add to any of them".

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

I also had a bit of a snigger at some of the indignant remarks on GR, such as "I have over 50,000 people on my tree and can't add to any of them".

only 50,000 poo thats nothing,

I dont like the new tree idea either and told them so ,coudn't find any of my photos, but as they tweaking maybe they will reappear???
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 20-01-12, 12:33. Reason: getting quote to work :)

Comment

I just logged in to GR this morning; my tree is back to "normal" - with photos! The message must have got through!

Comment

Mine too

Linda

Comment

50,000 people - how on earth can you do that in a llifetime and be sure they connect? Ha ha perhaps that's why it's difficult to add to because they don't connect.
                              CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

But the old tree is only back for the weekend .......... then they'll be working on the new tree again

so it's only a limited time relief ............ to allow people to export their tree from GR, if they so desire

hope I can quote this!

philmoir Advisor 20 Jan 2012 19:34

We are aware that there are problems with the new tree and are currently trying to resolve the issues.

UPDATE: 9PM UK TIME - Although we have made some configuration changes that may have allowed members to use the new tree, we have rolled back to our previous version so that over the weekend members can still access the old version. The link to the new tree is available for some members as it was during the beta test phase. If you should find that the new tree is not responding, we would recommend using the old tree for the moment.

Our sincerest apologies,
                                Phil Moir
                                Last edited by Sylvia C; 23-01-12, 03:46.
                                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                                X