Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Cousins Elizabeth Chalk 1844-1927 and 1844-?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Cousins Elizabeth Chalk 1844-1927 and 1844-?

In my tree my Gt grandparents Elizabeth Chalk and Joseph Arthur married in 1st qtr 1863 in Sunderland.

In the 1851 census there are 2 Elizabeth Chalks, one the daughter of William Chalk (1816-1886) the other the daughter of John Benfield Chalk (1823-1868). William and John were brothers, sons of William Chalk and Elizabeth Benfield. Which makes the 2 Elizabeths cousins.

Freebmd gives Elizabeth Chalk born Sunderland 3rd Qtr 1844 and Elizabeth Binfield Chalk born Sunderland 4th Qtr 1844

The other Elizabeth Chalk married Peter Clark in 2nd qtr 1861.

I need to find out if my great great grandfather was William or John.

Bob
    http://buswalks.co.uk

Hello Bob,

do you not have your Gt Grandmothers marriage cert? this would clarify the father problem :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

1871 census William & Sarah Chalk & son Richard living 1 New Gray Street.
      Joseph Arthur, Elizabeth & family living same address, separate household.

Moggie

Comment

like julie said, the marriage certificate will give her father's name.

Comment

Have a look at donkin.org.uk as there is a wealth of information on this family. According to the site, the Elizabeth CHALK who married Joseph ARTHUR had William CHALK and Sarah SPARKMAN as parents.

Nonetheless, do check out all information from other's personal sources: in my experience, just because a lot of information is beautifully presented on a site does NOT mean it is necessarily accurate! Contact with the site owner looks to be a good next step - good luck!

Comment

Thanks for your responses, I was hoping to avoid the expense of buying certificates. But I agree that is the best option.

Moggie the fact that the two families live in the same house could imply that Elizabeth Chalk is the daughter of William but it is not proof.

Bertie the donk part of my user name is short for donkin and that site you mention is mine.

There are about a dozen other people researching this branch on ancestry and most put William as the father but none have used the marriage certificate as evidence.

Regards Bob

Comment

There are about a dozen other people researching this branch on ancestry and most put William as the father but none have used the marriage certificate as evidence.
              ahh but how many are presuming and getting the information WRONG? I know it is an expense buying the cert, but, its you that will have the last laugh Bob, as you will have the correct parentage and they won't (unless you choose to share the information with them)..

sometimes, there isn't another course of action but to buy a cert, I know that there are some of my lines whereas if I hadn't got the cert I would be spending time and effort possibly going down the wrong line!
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by bobdonk View Post
                In my tree my Gt grandparents Elizabeth Chalk and Joseph Arthur married in 1st qtr 1863 in Sunderland.

In the 1851 census there are 2 Elizabeth Chalks, one the daughter of William Chalk (1816-1886) the other the daughter of John Benfield Chalk (1823-1868). William and John were brothers, sons of William Chalk and Elizabeth Benfield. Which makes the 2 Elizabeths cousins.

Freebmd gives Elizabeth Chalk born Sunderland 3rd Qtr 1844 and Elizabeth Binfield Chalk born Sunderland 4th Qtr 1844

The other Elizabeth Chalk married Peter Clark in 2nd qtr 1861.

I need to find out if my great great grandfather was William or John.

Bob

i don't know who your grandfather was but edward chalk was my great great grandfather. i have found another cousin today who said she's going to share what info she has with me. i had everything documents, photos and all but someone stole my cabinet with it all. my email is email removed if you mail me and send me your email address i will share what i get.

leah

If you want to contact Leah, please use the internal private message system.

Leah - Bob hasn't been online for a few months, but if you send him a PM, then he will receive a notification if his email address is current.
                Last edited by Caroline; 16-11-14, 08:36. Reason: removed email address

Comment

Hello bobdonk, my name is Greg Chalk from West Aust , my grandfather was JOHN BENFIELD CHALK HIS FATHER WAS RICHARD CHALK , HIS FATHER WAS WILLIAM CHALK WHO WAS MARRIED TO ELIZEBETH BENFIELD CHALK .I am new to this forum so looking to make contacts and info on the CHALK FAMILY .

Comment

Leah

As Caroline has said I don't often visit this forum any more. I have three Edward Chalks in my tree. Do you have any more information.

Bunbury

I am descended from Richard Chalks brother William. I will try and contact you on Face book.

Comment

Working...
                    X