Canada research query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada research query

Our family have a 'gent' who left Plymouth UK in 1922 - leaving his wife and five children behind - to travel to Toronto.
    He was a dentist, and on his papers he noted that he wasn't yet decided if he would be staying in Canada or not.

As he didn't ever return to his wife and children, we were wondering just where to look next for him in Canada.

He gave his destination as Toronto - to stay with his Brother in Law W.A. Cheslyn/Chesney (not too sure given the way it is written) @ 19 Irwin Avenue Toronto, which we have googled and found to be close to the University there which was founded in 1827, so at least part of it would have been standing at the time of his arrival.

Has Canada released any census from that time?
    Are there Electoral rolls we could look at to establish his whereabouts?
    Would there be a list of dentists in that particular area?

As I have never had to do any research in that part of the world before, I am at a loss as to where to look, so any pointers would be much appreciated.
    His name was Alfred Dann - and we would like to know if he remarried out there and had any more children.
    Thankyou

have you taken a look what ancestry has val? i know they have census, but i think they stop 1911ish atm. there are deaths certs on ancestry for certain areas, i know ontario does have some, but i forget which years are covered.

Comment

I have looked on ancestry Kyle, but they don't cover the later years unfortunately.
      Alfred Dann was born in 1877 and didn't go to Canada until he was 45, which was 1922, so I was thinking more along the lines of electoral rolls, telephone books - but I don't know how to access those sort of records and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Comment

have you seen this site? any tips maybe?

Comment

Thankyou Kyle, that link looks helpful

Comment

You may find something useful in the FTF Reference area: http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/435-Canada

You may also wish to sign up to the Toronto FHC Bulletin. This is a starting point: http://torontofhc.blogspot.com/ I can't see the Subscribe link, but this should get you into the loop: toronto_fhc@bellnet.ca
            The readers are very helpful - as is the person who actually puts the bulletin together.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many thanks Christine, I will follow up those leads.

Comment

This has various newspapers that you can search http://multiculturalcanada.ca/Collections

Comment

Ooh - That one looks interesting - many thanks Naomiatt

Comment

Be aware that Canada has very tight regulations on releasing bmd information ..... it's known as the 50/75 (or 80)/100 year rule, referring to the number of years after the event that information can be released.

I'm the immigrant into Canada, so I have no need to use Canadian records, therefore I'm not very clear on them ....... I do know that I am unable as yet to obtain the death information for someone who died in 1929.

In addition, Canada is like Australia ..... there is no Central Registry, equivalent to GRO in England and Wales.

You have to know which province someone lived, married and died in, before you can attempt to obtain any bmd information.
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia - thankyou very much indeed, it may be a FH line we shall have to wait for the next generation to discover then.

Comment

Val

are you still a paying member of GR?

There are one or two people on there who know more than I do about finding people in Canada ...... one is mgnv. Sometimes, what they find seem almost magical!

If you are a member, try putting up a thread on Find Ancestors, with Canada in the title.

sylvia
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                        X