X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching an Irish ancestor

Hi all,

Some advice please!

I have very little info on an Irish ancestor of mine in the 1800s. When I say little info I mean I am going on census details and stories from my grandmother about my ancestor running away at a young age and coming over to England.

Because he was so young there could also be doubts about the spelling of his name and birth year.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what records I can try and search, and how to try to obtain a birth cert?

Any replies appreciated!

Thanks,

Lauren :-)
    Lauren =)

what do you know of this ancestor? marriage? kids? death? if it's an uncommon name, you may have some luck re finding the county they were from.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
      what do you know of this ancestor? marriage? kids? death? if it's an uncommon name, you may have some luck re finding the county they were from.
      Andrew Cone
      Married Mary Elizabeth Phillips in 1908 and they had 11 children.
      Died 1956 age 78 which would mean his birth year was 1878. 1911 census record says he is aged 30 birth year 1881.

My grandmother has told me that his mother died when he was young and when his father remarried he ran away at a young age (can't remember exact but was around 12 years old I think!). However, I cannot find any other info on the earlier census records for him, and don't know where to start for Irish ancestor research!
      Lauren =)

Comment

do you have any certs? the marriage cert will give the father's name.

andrew cone, mary elizabeth phillips 1908 pontypridd

1911 census carmathenshire: 9 Railway Terrace Tumble Llannon Llanelly

CONE, Andrew-Head. Married 3 years. 30, b.1881, County Galway, Ireland. Coal Miner Hewer
        CONE, Mary Elizabeth- Married. 27, b.1884, Mardy Glamorgan
        CONE, Elizabeth Ann- 0 (2 MONTHS), b.1911, Mardy Glamorgan
        CONE, William- 2, b.1909, Mardy Glamorgan
        CONE, Martin- 0 (2 MONTHS), b.1911, Tumble Llanon S O

so you know andrew is from galway, and if you have the marriage, you have his father's name.

Comment

possibility with the worthington family in 1901: hulme barn, mere, cheshire

CONA, John- Servant. Married. 40, b.1861,Galway Ireland. Farm Labourer
          CONA, Andy- Servant. Married. 22, b.1879, Galway Ireland. Farm Labourer

Comment

here's the link for the national archives of ireland, you can search the irish 1901/1911 census for free, free images too.

i could not see an andrew cone in the age brackets of around 1880, but there is a large coyne family in galway.
            the name seems to be spelled 'coyne' in ireland, and it is a variant that pops up searching for 'cone' in the english census.

if you know the father's name, maybe you can find him in the irish census?

Comment

Thanks for your replies :-)

I haven't got the marriage cert, so I think I will have to get that to get any further!
              Lauren =)

Comment

There are Irish BMDs on ancestry here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...F0003A49-int=1

There are no censuses for Ireland before the 1901 as they were all destroyed by fire in the 1920 uprising. It is very difficult to go back so you have to have tons of patience and tenacity!!

Margaret
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 19-01-12, 17:41.

Comment

When you have received the marriage certificate and then know the name of Andrew's father, please let us know.

Irish civil registration for birth started in 1864 so, hopefully, there is a registration for his birth somewhere. Also, you could ask in the rootsweb mailing list for Galway.
                  Joy

Comment

Hi all

Sorry for the extremely late update!

I can confirm that the marriage certificate gave his father as being - Martin Cone.

Where can I go from here?
                    Lauren =)

Comment

Have a look at the FamilySearch site https://familysearch.org/search/

There's a pretty good hit for an Andreas (Andrew) Cone borm 16th May 1877, christen 15th June 1877 in Killlian and Kilronan, Galway, Ireland. Parents are Martinus (Martin) Cone and Julia McLaughlin

Comment

And depending how many children are christened and where Andrew is in the pecking order will also potentially give you the name of a grandfather as Irish naming convention for males frequently follow the same path i.e. Eldest son after his paternal grandfather, second son after his maternal grandfather, third son after his father.
                        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

There's only 1 family with the surname Cone coming up on the 1901 census for Galway http://www.census.nationalarchives.i..._Lane/1367352/

You may need to try several searches with different spellings to see if anything else comes up that might be yours.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X