Find My Past Blog - 1911 census reveals potential abduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - 1911 census reveals potential abduction

Maureen Selley, chairman of Devon Family History Society, got in touch with us about this intriguing discovery in a 1911 census return. Is there a simple explanation, or does the record tell a more scandalous tale? Read on for Maureen’s story…
    News of the release of the infirmity column of the 1911 census came at just the right time, while I was preparing for a family history slot on BBC Radio Devon. A quick trawl through my own family’s 1911 images revealed no infirmities, so I was pleased to see items in the press and in Nick Barratt’s blog mentioning a ‘stinking proud’ daughter - ideal!
    Looking at the image for Richard Woodward in Avon Road, Highbury, Islington, however, I noticed that both descriptions, ‘Feeble Minded & Stinking Proud’, probably referred to Richard’s wife, who was called ‘Wife abducted’. His daughter had no name on the census return, but was also described as ‘abducted’. The enumerator put a line through ‘& Stinking Proud’ but accepted Richard’s description of his unnamed wife as feeble minded:
    Click to enlarge

A quick search of the 1891 and 1901 censuses revealed Mrs Woodward as Blanche and their daughter as Maud. Richard Woodward married Blanche Emily Creasy in the June quarter of 1890. Maud, their only child, was born a respectable 9-12 months after the marriage (June quarter 1891), so not in the same year, as it might appear from Richard’s 1911 census entry.
    What was going on? Was Richard a deserted husband? Had his wife and daughter really been abducted? Was he feeling hard done by or simply completing the 1911 form with his tongue very firmly in his cheek? Richard was in his mid-30s when he married Blanche, who was 13/14 years his junior. Perhaps Blanche had found herself a toy boy?
    Searching findmypast.co.uk for the ‘abducted’ wife and daughter revealed that they stayed with their Creasy relatives on 1911 census night at High St, Hadlow, Tonbridge:
    Click to enlarge

Ellen Creasy (nee Pine) was Arthur Creasy’s second wife. His first wife Susannah (mother of Harold) was alone in 1901 and died later that year. Husband Arthur was not positively identified in 1901.
    I then noticed the faint pencilled note below the family listing on the Creasy 1911 census image. It appears to have been written by the enumerator and says ‘No. 3 Harold Creasy apart from wife’.
    Harold’s wife, Mary Eldridge Creasy, (nee Simpson) and her son, nine month old Arthur Harold John, were staying at 29 Duckett Road, Hornsey, with Mary’s parents.
    So, abducted Blanche and Maud were just visiting…weren’t they?

More...

Please note: This post has originated from a news feed from an external website.
    Family Tree Forum neither endorses nor is responsible for the views of the author or any other content.
Working...
X