Can't find a Baptism, HAMILTON, 1790

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find a Baptism, HAMILTON, 1790

I wonder if anyone can help me with this please?

I am trying to find a Baptism or Birth Entry for my G/G/G/Grandfather, Charles Hamilton.

I've found a Marriage for him on the IGI to Charlotte Mary EDMEADES in Frindsbury, Kent on the 16th February 1831. He was a Mariner, & they seem to have moved around a bit. Their daughter Ellen Hamilton, (my G/G/Grandmother), was born in Deptford, Kent in 1845. In 1841 I found Charles Hamilton 50, Charlotte 38 and Arthur 7, in Greenwich, St Paul, Deptford.

On the 1851 Census they are at:
    4 Church Passage, Greenwich, Kent
    Jane WEAVER head mar 23 pauper b.Blk Heath (Blackheath), Kent
    Eliz'h 12 b.Oxford
    Ann 10 b.Deptford
    Ellen 8 b.Blk Heath
    Luisa 4 b.Greenwich
    Wm? KING visitor 1 b.Greenwich
    Char't HAMILTON mar 45 (occupation hard to read but could be "Green'h .....? Pen'r wife" (Greenwich .....? pensioners wife) b.Middlesex
    Ellen 5 b.Deptford
    Ann HUGHES inmate wid 60 needlewoman b.St George East
    HO107/1586 folio 83 page 1

On the " Greenwich Pension Register" ( taken from ADM 73/60) there is a listing for:

HAMILTON Charles 1846 (Year of Entry to Greenwich Hospital) St Lukes Middlesex (presumably his place of birth?) age 56yrs. If this is him , he was in the Royal Navy, - presumably as a Rating, and so hard to trace.

But initially I would like to find his Birth!
    Any help welcomed, Holly.

it looks like he was abit older than her too, maybe he was married previously?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      it looks like he was abit older than her too, maybe he was married previously?
      Hi Darksecretz,

I can't see a definate previous marriage for him. Ages on the 1841/51 Censuses were often, 'rounded off', - and so these ages could be approximate(?)

The Marriage is on the IGI, but no Birth details for either of them:-(
      Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
        Hi Darksecretz,

I can't see a definate previous marriage for him. Ages on the 1841/51 Censuses were often, 'rounded off', - and so these ages could be approximate(?)

The Marriage is on the IGI, but no Birth details for either of them:-(
        Holly.
        I have seen that marriage too on the LDS.. do you know when he died? did he leave a will?
        Julie

Comment

I've found 2 possible Death Entries on FreeBMD:

Charles Hamilton Dec 1854 Greenwich 1d 441
          Charles Hamilton Sept 1861 Greenwich 1d 409

No ages though:-(

I've re-joined Ancestry, but find their new search facility so annoying that I think I will cancel! It just doesn't seem possible to look up anything straightforward on there anymore. I can't see Probate on there either, - just looked.

Holly.

Comment

I know that the search has changed on Ancestry, there was a dual function not so long back.. though I have been using the 'new search' for a few years. there are ways to make the searching easier, you can add a spouse or a child to the main person or use an occupation.

the death in 1861 would indicate that he should be on that census, do you have him or his wife on the 1861?
            Julie

Comment

ok after much searching..

1851: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=1064384
              Julie

Comment

Sorry Darksecretz,

I put the entry for this family on the 1851 Census in my initial post on this thread.
                Charles Hamilton isn't with his wife and daughter because I believe he was admitted to Greenwich Hospital as a Pensioner in 1846, (he was previously in the Navy).

There's a Death Entry for a Charlotte Hamilton in Greenwich in 1860; which I think is the right one.
                On the 1861 Census Ellen Hamilton is with (I think) a sister in law, in Wandsworth. She married William Dyer in Lewisham, Kent in 1868.

However, I am still stuck with a Birth or Baptismal entry for Charles Hamilton in 1790.
                Holly.

Comment

Sorry Darksecretz,

I put the entry for this family on the 1851 Census in my initial post on this thread.
                  Charles Hamilton isn't with his wife and daughter because I believe he was admitted to Greenwich Hospital as a Pensioner in 1846, (he was previously in the Navy).

There's a Death Entry for a Charlotte Hamilton in Greenwich in 1860; which I think is the right one.
                  On the 1861 Census Ellen Hamilton is with (I think) a sister in law, in Wandsworth. She married William Dyer in Lewisham, Kent in 1868.

However, I am still stuck with a Birth or Baptismal entry for Charles Hamilton in 1790.
                  Holly.
                  no I didnt make myself clear, I was looking for them in the 1851 to see what it said and if it might glean any info, I knew you had put it on the header post, but, I can't search with the refs.. and wondered if they were mistrans or something. (sorry)

according to the 41 Charles was born in Kent.. do you know what happened to Arthur?

do the Greenwich Hospital have any records at all? they might shed some light on the situation.. if he served in the Navy would their be records?

edit: http://www.grenhosp.org.uk/default.asp?page=280
                  Julie

Comment

The only thing that I could find is taken from the " Greenwich Pension Register" Site. (It's taken from ADM 73/60)

HAMILTON Charles 1846 St Lukes Middlesex age 56

And so it appears that Charles Hamilton was admitted as a Pensioner in 1846, when he was 56yrs. And this time his Place of Birth is given as St Luke's Middx. (I've tried going through records for there, - but no joy:-(
                    His wife and children wouldn't have been able to live with him, - just to visit.
                    I've tried looking for son Arthur Adgate Hamilton, (who was 7yrs on the 1841 Census) but can't find him on Ancestry...

Holly.

Comment

ok I'll have a look and see what I can find re Arthur.. did you see my link on post #9? re Greenwich records?
                      Julie

Comment

there is this one re 1861: he is a Lieut in the RN

Julie

Comment

hmmn I see his baptism in Deptford, I wonder where the 'Adgate' bit comes from??
                          Julie

Comment

I've just found a Baptism for Arthur Adgate Hamilton in September 1840 at St Paul's Deptford. Curious, because he was 7 on the 1841 Census? (But perhaps that should be a one?)

I spent ages going through the admissions records for Greenwich Hospital on the National Archives Site, but although all of the names are listed up to the 1830's, - you don't seem to be able to see the ones for the 1840's. Presumably you have to visit Kew in person to see them?

Holly.

Comment

hmmn I see his baptism in Deptford, I wonder where the 'Adgate' bit comes from??
                              Yes, I wondered that as well...

The problem is that because I can't find baptisms for Charles Hamilton or Charlotte Mary Edmeades, - I don't know any more about their parentage or families.
                              It could also be, that as Charles Hamilton was in the Navy...that his son might have been named in honour of a Senior Officer?
                              Holly.

Comment

I've just looked again at Charles Hamilton and Charlotte Mary Edmeads Marriage details again...He is a Batchelor and she is a Spinster, - and so not married before. Both of the Parish of Frindsbury, Kent. Both of them have signed their own names on the register. The Witnesses are Elizabeth Levy and Richard Gates.
                                Holly.

Comment

there is this one re 1861: he is a Lieut in the RN

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1
                                  That Arthur Hamilton was born in Middlesex in 1833...
                                  Holly.

Comment

I've just found a Baptism for Arthur Adgate Hamilton in September 1840 at St Paul's Deptford. Curious, because he was 7 on the 1841 Census? (But perhaps that should be a one?)

I spent ages going through the admissions records for Greenwich Hospital on the National Archives Site, but although all of the names are listed up to the 1830's, - you don't seem to be able to see the ones for the 1840's. Presumably you have to visit Kew in person to see them?

Holly.
                                    I would think so too, that you would have to go in person or post a request on our 'Research Requests' board, for a specific lookup.
                                    Julie

Comment

I've just looked again at Charles Hamilton and Charlotte Mary Edmeads Marriage details again...He is a Batchelor and she is a Spinster, - and so not married before. Both of the Parish of Frindsbury, Kent. Both of them have signed their own names on the register. The Witnesses are Elizabeth Levy and Richard Gates.
                                      Holly.
                                      where are you seeing this? is it a copy in your possession? or an image online? (I wonder if Elizabeth is a sister that is married?)
                                      Julie

Comment

oooh you could try here http://www.kent-opc.org/Parishes/Frindsbury.html

they might be able to give you some help, re the bapts?
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X