Chelsea Pensioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelsea Pensioners

On FMP there are two separate John Pitson in the Chelsea Pensioners records. These should be part of my lot, but I am not sure which branch they belong to. Could someone have a check and see if any parents/nok are given so I can try to pin them down.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

there is only one ,as the other for some reason has been mistranscribed his name is William Robertson??
    John Pitson born abt 1854 Nuneham Oxforshire Grenadier Guards 6494

Comment

Thanks Val, will do some more digging on this one, as he must be related somehow, the only one I have that is close was born 1857, but was a farmer.
      Linda

Comment

Okay, can find him on 1881, in Barracks, 1891 and 1901 in Eastbourne, but nothing before that. Can anyone see him anywhere. Also can't see a birth for him. Any ideas anyone?
        Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          Okay, can find him on 1881, in Barracks, 1891 and 1901 in Eastbourne, but nothing before that. Can anyone see him anywhere. Also can't see a birth for him. Any ideas anyone?
          which one you looking for Linda? 1857 or 1854 born Nuneham?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

1871: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1871&indiv=1
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie, I'm looking for John b. 1854 - have full info on John b.1857, who stayed in the area all his life. The one you have found in 1871 was actually born in 1844, became policeman in 1865. I've gone through the 1861 and 1871 Nuneham censuses and can't find anything that would fit, not even a John * b. 1854. This will definitely keep me going. :D
              Linda

Comment

the one born in 1854 says gardener

Comment

Ooh - okay, interesting, going off for a think.
                  Linda

Comment

says father John Williams ???? in Newport Monmouthshire so maybe look for a John Williams? birth

Comment

Right - this is what I have.

John William b. 1808 in Nuneham, married Rachel Perkins in 1835. They have 12 children including John Williams b. 1844 (the one Julie found in 1871).Rachel dies in 1867. Between 1871 and 1881 John William Sr goes to live with son Edgar, who has moved to Newport, Wales. According to TNA, in 1865, John William Pitson of Nuneham, aged 22 was appointed a police Constable. John William jr marries Anne Trinder in 1873 in Stow on the Wold. In the 1881, 1891 and 1901 she is back living with her father, but still saying married. She ends up with 3 children, b. 1875, 1878 and 1882.

So could it be the same John - knocking 10 years off his age, saying he's single and no longer with his wife? The one in Eastbourne in 1891 has his profession down as Policeman, and at the moment I cannot find him as a policeman in 1881.

I am getting quite confused by all this - also now wondering if Anns youngest child is his.
                      Linda

Comment

So what are your thoughts on this - Anns youngest child is baptised Tom Rose Pitson. I thought Rose was a bit strange for a boy. He was born in 1882. On the 1881 census, Ann is living next door to George Rose. Can I infer anything?
                        Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                          So what are your thoughts on this - Anns youngest child is baptised Tom Rose Pitson. I thought Rose was a bit strange for a boy. He was born in 1882. On the 1881 census, Ann is living next door to George Rose. Can I infer anything?
                          LOL - I bet you can infer a great deal!! Looks like the child belongs to the neighbour and has his surname as a middle name as you have surmised.

Margaret

Comment

The other Ann Pitson in 1911 in Sussex?
                            Susan Ann Pitson born c1860 Takeley, Head, widow. living on her own.
                            From Ancestry Mrs Pitson living 81 Terminus Rd, Eastbourne, Sussex

Moggie

Comment

Oh thanks Moggie, actually know the road as used to live in Eastbourne! Wonder if a divorce had taken place. I think that it is the same John Pitson, obviously the marriage broke down so they went their separate ways. I did find out that brother Edgar was a gardener in Newport - maybe he had been working for him for a time which is why he put it down on his form, as well losing 10 years off his age (Wish I could do that)
                              Linda

Comment

I narrowed it down to her being Susan Ann Thompson born c1860 Takeley.
                                Marriage in 1902 Mar qtr at Brighton
                                John William Pitson & Susan Ann Thompson.
                                Had the first Mrs Pitson died by 1902?
                                If not we are looking at a divorce or bigamy!

Moggie

Comment

The first Mrs Pitson living Church Icomb 1911 census.
                                  Moggie

She said she was a widow. I think she said the same in 1901.
                                  Last edited by maudarby; 18-01-12, 18:59.

Comment

John died in Dec quarter 1905, in Hailsham
                                    Linda

Comment

Working...
                                    X