colonel in the indian army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colonel in the indian army

i am looking for information on a 'colonel in her majesty's indian army'. i have him in 1861, in westminster, and i know he died in 1864, with a will.

he is not on any census pre 1861, how would i find out about his career? i don't anything other than what's in the quotes, which is from the census and his will.

have you had a look here Kyle?

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Also might be worth looking here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...indianarmy.htm

when I googled Indian army I also got ancestry as a result but I'm not sure what exactly they've got might be worth looking in their card catalogue to see.

Margaret

Comment

Here's the ancestry database http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5758 and it seems to be an index taken of the names in a book described as "This book contains a listing of over 40,000 names of British and Indian troops during the British control of India".

Hope that helps.
        Margaret

Comment

thankyou for the links ladies. my man didn't die in battle or such, he died in london. he isn't appearing on the national archives, or ancestry. as far as i know he never married, so he isn't showing on fibis. i have a feeling he was a colonel in the east india company at some point, would that be considered 'her majesty's indian army'?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            i am looking for information on a 'colonel in her majesty's indian army'. i have him in 1861, in westminster, and i know he died in 1864, with a will.

he is not on any census pre 1861, how would i find out about his career? i don't anything other than what's in the quotes, which is from the census and his will.
            Have you tried for an obituary in The Times or 19c British Newspapers, or any references in the London Gazette?
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

What was his name? If Indian Army his records should be at the British Library, if British Army they will be at Kew (not online). What was his name? He should feature in either the Indian Army List or the British Army List. Some Army Lists are in Google Books.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

his name was henry brown, i have already googled and came up with nothing. thanx phil for the suggestion, i don't have access to any newspapers, i know he was loaded, but i don't know if an obit in the times would have happened!

Comment

Working...
                X