Missing in Coventry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in Coventry

I am trying to find out what happened to Mary Harrison after 1901.
    She was born in 1859 in Coventry and married Edwin Harry Bosworth in Coventry in 1885. They had several children and spent time living in Oldham and Attleborough before returning to Coventry by 1901. I can find Mary with her daughter Ada before marriage in 1881, and with her husband and other children in 1891 and 1901.
    I don't know what happened to Mary after 1901 as I can find no death or remarriage for her, but know that by 1907 Edwin was with a different partner. In 1911 Edwin is with an Elizabeth, stating he is married but without putting how many years married- though Elizabeth was also married to someone else! Mary's younger children are also with Edwin so I presume that Mary had died but I am unable to find a suitable death for her.
    Please can someone take a look.

I would think that as they didnt state how long they had been married that possibly they were living together as though they were married, have you looked for a marriage between them at a later date? possibly after their original spouses had died?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

have you seen this?

Julie

Comment

They eventually married in about 1938 after Elizabeth's husband had died, but I have never managed to work out what happened to Mary.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsmore View Post
          They eventually married in about 1938 after Elizabeth's husband had died, but I have never managed to work out what happened to Mary.
          Did you look at the 1911 reference Darksecretz put up? Although it says single if might be her.

Margaret

Comment

How about this for the death

Mary Bosworth
            Birth Date: abt 1860
            Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1932
            Age at Death: 72
            Registration district: Birmingham North
            Inferred County: Warwickshire
            Volume: 6d
            Page: 782

Comment

Originally posted by beadsmore View Post
              Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              How about this for the death

Mary Bosworth
              Birth Date: abt 1860
              Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1932
              Age at Death: 72
              Registration district: Birmingham North
              Inferred County: Warwickshire
              Volume: 6d
              Page: 782
              so, it might be if Elizabeths husband died and also Mary.. if they married in 1938,
              Julie

Comment

Thank you so much. Sorry for the delay in answering you, I had to pick up children from after school activities.

I have had a look at the 1911 Mary Bosworth which I haven't seen before and it could be her. I have had a quick check and haven't found any other Mary Bosworths born in 1859 in Coventry.
                Maybe she left the family. I had always assumed that as Mary's children were so unpleasant to Edwin's daughter with Elizabeth that maybe Edwin had left Mary. Mind you, maybe Mary felt she had to leave if Edwin was seeing someone.

I will have at the death later this evening.

Thanks again.

Comment

no problems, I know what its like with young children myself..

it might have been that if marys children were so unpleasant to their fathers other child, it might be that they couldnt accept the new relationship, and felt some sort of loyalty to their mother.
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    no problems, I know what its like with young children myself..

it might have been that if marys children were so unpleasant to their fathers other child, it might be that they couldnt accept the new relationship, and felt some sort of loyalty to their mother.
                    Plus children in those days would have no idea why their parents separated - she might have had an affair and either been told to go or went to be with the other man after which the father took up with someone else to help with bringing them up and that is where the resentment came in. It may be also that Elizabeth favoured her child over those from the previous marriage - not unheard of LOL

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                      Plus children in those days would have no idea why their parents separated - she might have had an affair and either been told to go or went to be with the other man after which the father took up with someone else to help with bringing them up and that is where the resentment came in. It may be also that Elizabeth favoured her child over those from the previous marriage - not unheard of LOL
                      that is so true Margaret, it was one of those things that 'wasnt spoken about' much like my grandparents didnt 'talk' to their children about things.
                      Julie

Comment

Elizabeth had children from her first marriage too. Of the younger two, one died very young - in the workhouse, but this may have been as she was ill with epilepsy, and Claude in his early teens wasn't with his mother either. He was in Yorkshire in a hospital in 1911 aged 15 -miles from both his parents. He died a couple of years later, still a long way from home.
                        My grandmother was the only child of this second marriage and remembered Claude being nice to her when he visited however the other children from the first marriages hadn't any time for her as a child.
                        Elizabeth had been deserted by husband 1, and things were very hard for the family. Her children didn't want her to be with Edwin Harry. They knew each other as he worked with her eldest son. I hadn't considered that she could be helping
                        him with his children - but what about hers?

Comment

You have to remember that in those days a man on his own without female relatives would not be able to manage to bring up children on his own he would have to work and that would also be long hours.

Many men be they widowers or separated would have no option but to get another woman and he wouldn't be able to pay one so he would look for someone in the same boat as himself and marriage/living together would be the best option for them both. It could simply have been a union of convenience to them both. Divorce was not an easy option due to cost and limited grounds where it was allowed.

My grandfather was in such a position my grandmother died in childbirth (13th) and he was left with 5 children still at school so he quickly found a widow and married her, she had a son who joined the family so everyone's needs were satisfied - but like your situation it wasn't a happy one as she didn't really want to look after 5 young children so was very cruel to them and they all left home as soon as they could. Her son also followed his mother's example in his approach to his new step siblings!

The death in a workhouse just means it was acting as a hospital which many of them became as the need for adults to go declined. The older boy also in hosptial may have had a disability that meant he couldn't live at home - here again there was not the support for families in such situations.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                            that is so true Margaret, it was one of those things that 'wasnt spoken about' much like my grandparents didnt 'talk' to their children about things.
                            There was an element of letting children be children in all this - not burdening them with adult concerns - sometimes that worked well sometimes it didn't. Nowadays it's accepted thinking that children are best told everything - not sure I agree in all cases.

Margaret

Comment

It is amazing how little my grandparents actually knew of their families so I am sure you are right in that they weren't told what was actually going on. My grandmother was also deeply ashamed of the fact that she was illegitimate and even thought her own daughter would think badly of her. She implied that her parents had married when she was very young when in fact she was 30. It is so sad that even her siblings blamed an innocent child. No wonder she did not try to find out about her parents background.

Going back to Mary's death; there seem to be several Mary Bosworths in the Birmingham area over the years so I will have to spend time looking at them to see if I can tie in the deaths with those people. Even if I found the right death I don't suppose I could ever prove it is her without her family being the informants on the certificate. I do now think that she was possible still alive in 1911 and she left the family for some reason rather than Edwin being widdowed.

Comment

What you have said is often the reason children aren't told as others can be so adversely judgemental about things that are none of their concern and nothing to do with the person being judged - children can be especially cruel to other children.

Yes, I think the only chance to 'prove' which death is yours is to eliminate the others and the one that's left is probably her!

Good luck and let us know if we can help with your search.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                X