USA Lookup...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Lookup...?

Hi All I am trying to find out about my Great Uncle, John Herbert C Pratt who was born in Brixton, London, UK in 1899 to John Arthur Pratt and his second wife Henrietta nee Swan. I believe that he initially travelled to Canada in about 1922 before "crossing the border" into California. He married someone known as Mildred. I know he was alive in the USA during World War II. However I can't find anything out about him in USA and whether he had children, etc., can anyone help please?

Sadly nothing jumps out out on ancestry.
    Sue ;)

Comment

I know, there doesn't seem to be anything apart from his birth record and his appearance on the 1901 census.

Comment

am having a look for you, I have found a document, and this names where in Canada he was intending to live. (Winsor, Ontario) via Quebec.. to a friend, Mr Percy PRATT..

he was already married and gives his wifes name as, Mary Ellen PRATT, of 18, Streathbourne Road, TOOTING. SW17. (so would indicate he married there before travelling) he gives his occupation as 'Commercial Traveller' and sailed on June 23th and arrived in quebec oct 1924. (on the SS Montcalm)

Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-01-12, 11:17.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Darkesecretz, sorry I could not follow your link as I don't have a subscription to Ancestry. Haven't found a Percy Pratt in the family yet but my g-g-grandfather and g-g-g-uncle were both in Canada; both had died before John arrived. Any chance you can find out who Percy Pratt was? I'd be very grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            am having a look for you, I have found a document, and this names where in Canada he was intending to live. (Winsor, Ontario) via Quebec.. to a friend, Mr Percy PRATT..

he was already married and gives his wifes name as, Mary Ellen PRATT, of 18, Streathbourne Road, TOOTING. SW17. (so would indicate he married there before travelling) he gives his occupation as 'Commercial Traveller' and sailed on June 23th and arrived in quebec oct 1924. (on the SS Montcalm)

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...rivals&indiv=1
            now looking again, and it might be that this isnt your John, I noticed that there are at last two other births of people with these initals, so it might be one of them and not the one you want...

interesting enough though, there is a marriage in 1920 London, of a JCH Pratt, to a Jenkins, and her first two intials are MM the middle name could be Mildred..

Name: John C H Pratt
            Spouse Surname: Jenkins
            Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1920
            Registration district: St George Hanover Square
            Inferred County: London
            Volume Number: 1a
            Page Number: 1221
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-01-12, 14:19.
            Julie

Comment

he was definitely John Herbert C and not John C H - he was known as Herbert. I managed to dig out a photo of him and Mildred taken in June 1939 in San Francisco. The writing on the back of the picture says "This is Aunt Mildred and Uncle Herbert, it looks "American" and the words "our vacation" are used rather than "our holiday" so I am guessing that this is an American 2nd wife.... she is even wearing a spray of flowers on her jacket which looks as though it could have been put there for a wedding - and she definitely looks quite a bit younger than John....so if he did marry a Mary Ellen (found a marriage in June 24 her surname appears to be Rimell) perhaps the death of a Mary Ellen Pratt in USA needs to be looked for? Still no idea who Percy is, though!

Comment

I know what you mean, i'll have another look and see what I can find..
                Julie

Comment

this is really odd.. I have found a border crossing for Charles Herbert Pratt in 1924.. from Winsor Ont, and this is the port of Detroit, Mich. states he was born in NY city.. occ Butler, arrived 13th Dec 1924.

BUT gives wifes name as MARY ELLEN PRATT of 18, Streathbourne Rd TOOTING SW 17. (he is travelling alone) and is going to stay with a Mr MJ Murphy, 1007 Bishops Rd, and it looks like GORSE POINT, but I have no idea where that is!
                  Julie

Comment

My John Herbert C Pratt (half-brother to my grandfather) was born in Brixton, South London UK in 1899, not NYC. I think the Mary Ellen marriage may be wrong as well, then....? Back to Square One....

Comment

Originally posted by Alleycat View Post
                      My John Herbert C Pratt (half-brother to my grandfather) was born in Brixton, South London UK in 1899, not NYC. I think the Mary Ellen marriage may be wrong as well, then....? Back to Square One....
                      I think he is telling fibs...

the wifes name & address are exactly the same on the two records it is his name that has changed and pob but I think he is covering something up.. possibly so he can marry bigamously??

this is from the first post I made..

Name: John Herbert Charles Pratt
                      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
                      Birth Place: London, England
                      Date of Arrival: Oct 1924
                      Port of Arrival: Quebec
                      Ship Name: Montcalm

he states his wife as mary ellen pratt of 18, Streathbourne Rd, tooting sw17
                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-01-12, 17:39. Reason: sllepnig!!!!
                      Julie

Comment

I have saved the images if you would like them, PM me with your email address and I'll send them onto you.
                        Julie

Comment

so if he did marry a Mary Ellen (found a marriage in June 24 her surname appears to be Rimell)
                          where did you find this please.. I am wondering now if she stopped in the UK
                          Julie

Comment

and - US 1940 census in 3 months!

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                              and - US 1940 census in 3 months!
                              to find them on ANY census would be a bonus.. :smilee:
                              Julie

Comment

Have you tried FamilySearch lately. They keep putting new stuff up there. I found some more info about my Errant Grandfather, only yesterday.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I looked thru FamilySearch for marriage of JHCP/Mary Ellen, death of Mildred, and earlier censuses would have been there - they weren't, or couldn't be pinpointed. That's why I mentioned 1940 - we know they were alive in 1939, and they may have been living in the US in 1940.

I also checked Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid - there is a Mildred Pratt, but she seems to have a spouse & child with her. My ancestry sub doesn't cover Canada - did anyone check for Mildred's death there?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                    I looked thru FamilySearch for marriage of JHCP/Mary Ellen, death of Mildred, and earlier censuses would have been there - they weren't, or couldn't be pinpointed. That's why I mentioned 1940 - we know they were alive in 1939, and they may have been living in the US in 1940.

I also checked Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid - there is a Mildred Pratt, but she seems to have a spouse & child with her. My ancestry sub doesn't cover Canada - did anyone check for Mildred's death there?
                                    I looked, but, didnt spot anything, (but thats not to say it isnt there!) if you have a link for the ancestry one I can check it out.
                                    Julie

Comment

thanks everyone for your help on this. What a mystery that he might be "hiding" something! I found a marriage of John H C and Mary Ellen Rimell in June qr 1924 on FreeBMD, I wonder why he would marry and almost immediately sail alone for USA, unless he was trying to get away from her for some reason, or had intended sending for her later....but if he left in order to hide something, why stay in touch with his brother in Croydon and why offer sanctuary to one of his brother's daughters during WW2? She has died now but she once told me in a letter that although the invitation was there she didn't go because she felt that if she left and her parents and sister were to die in the bombing, she would rather die with them..... Darksecretz will pm you my email address, would love to see those images.....

Comment

I really dont know, I do know though that the images I have sent you state the 'wife' as Mary Ellen PRATT living in Tooting, (even though he tells fibs about his name/pob!)

one way to be 100% would be to send for the marriage cert, (not unless its in the LMA records?) as you know who JHCs father is that would be a good pointer! :smilee:
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X