Baptized twice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptized twice?

I was re-checking an ancestors records when I came across a second baptism for the same person. The names match, parents names match, location ( Battersea ) and family address are all the same. It appears baptism number 1 was on 25 May 1887 and the second on 15 June 1887, each in a different parish but in the same area. ( Battersea ) Beside the entry for the first baptism are the letters "P.B." which don't match up with any other names on the document so I don't think that they are someone's initials.

I admit that the intricacies of church procedures etc are not my strong point, but has anyone heard of this happening? Any reasons for it?

P.B. probably means Private Baptism. A likely reason - a newborn wasn't well, and there was concern whether s/he would make it to a formal baptism.

If you search, there are other threads on this subject
    sarah

Comment

I agree totally Sarah, PB usually means that it was a 'Private Baptism' ie, the child was thought it might not live, so they had a baptism at home for the child.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I concur with the above responses - the second baptism "ceremony" is often noted as "received into the church."

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you - that explains one of my Coulls being bap twice.
          Liz

Comment

I raised a similar point not too long ago about what appears to be two baptisms for the same baby in 2 different parishes (but in the same area )of Notts. Can't remember if it was here or on Roots Chat (aaaargh !), but someone told me that this was reasonably common....one baptism might take place in the parish where the parents now lived & the other in which one of them, or both originally came from (just one example but there are lots of variations.) Apparently, it was most likely to happen if the grandparents weren't fit to make the journey from their parish or if a baby was/became ill & was baptised quickly wherever its parents were at the time & had a bigger family baptism when it recovered

Comment

Working...
            X