Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totally confused re Rebecca's Sister - help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally confused re Rebecca's Sister - help please!

1871 census. Rebecca Strong aged 47 is an unmarried mother living with her son William aged 21(Barnburgh, Doncaster). Also living with Rebecca and William is Ann Sanderson recorded as Sister(presumably of Rebecca). I did, for a long time, think that Ann was actually Mary and she had married Ephraim Sanderson in 1840. I now think that I am guilty of putting two and two together and making 5 as it would seem that Ephraim married Ann Bizby 2 Nov 1840 - source igi.

So, having ruled out this possibility, who is Ann Sanderson born in 1808? Rebecca had two sisters and four brothers. The oldest of which was born in 1814. Rebecca's parents were married in 1813 and as far as I know neither had been married before. Further, I can account for all of Rebecca's brothers - three married but non of them called Ann - so not her sister in law. Her sister Hannah born 1829 married George Marshall. The only sister not accounted for is Mary born 1816 hence my notion that she was actually Ann - I know guilty as charged!!

So back to my original question who is Ann Sanderson?

Any ideas will be most welcome.

Sandra

On Ancestry there is A Family Tree for an Ann Sanderson born 1803 Doncaster; parents William Sanderson & Mary Jowett.
    Additionally she is well covered in the censuses.

Comment

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your response. I have found the trees to which you refer but I am struggling to find Ann on other census returns.

Sandra

Comment

I had a look at the census page showing Rebecca Strong and think that Ann Sanderson may in fact be completely unrelated to her. Ann is in a separate household to Rebecca. Also there seem to be a few confused relationships on this page - the next household consists of Elizabeth Smith, 46 , Wife - she obviously isn't Rebecca's wife and doesn't seem to be married to anyone on this page of the census. Maybe Ann Sanderson was the sister of someone who wasn't at home on census night, and for some reason wasn't considered head of the household?

Kirsty

Comment

Totally agree with what Kirsty had just said. Above Rebecca is a Hannah Lidster wife with no husband present & she appears to have filled in his birthplace as Barmbrough. It looks as if some of the menfolk were working away from home.
          Moggie

Comment

In 1861 widow Ann Sanderson born 1807 is living in Sheffield with 16 year old daughter ref; RG9/3464/104/page 5. She is a Trunk Manufacturer.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your responses. Looks like it is back to the drawing board to try and work out what happened to Mary Strong.... But I am absolutely sure that she didn't become Ann Sanderson!!

Sandra

Comment

San,

where/when was Mary Strong born please.. 1816? but whereabouts.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

Mary Strong born and Baptised in Doncaster 1816. Parents George Strong and Hannah Drake.

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                    Hi Julie,

Mary Strong born and Baptised in Doncaster 1816. Parents George Strong and Hannah Drake.

Sandra
                    have you paired up the other marriages in 1840 (the one that Ann Bizley/Ephriam Sanderson) ones?? there is a Mary Strong on that page, so might she have married one of the others?
                    Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Your idea is good. I shall have a go at that one and see how far I get!!

Sandra

Comment

a mary strong married robert smith at st peter's barnborough, doncaster in 1840.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          a mary strong married robert smith at st peter's barnborough, doncaster in 1840.
                          ooh Kyle, THAT looks promising....
                          Julie

Comment

I have just had a look in 1851 and as you can imagine there are several Mary Smiths' married to Robert born and living in Yorkshire. Unfortunately non actually seem to say Doncaster.
                            I should have stayed well clear when I saw the name Smith
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

haha yes i agree with chrissie.......we may have found the marriage, but now we are after a mary smith!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                                On Ancestry there is A Family Tree for an Ann Sanderson born 1803 Doncaster; parents William Sanderson & Mary Jowett.
                                Additionally she is well covered in the censuses.
                                Hi
                                One of those trees is mine - but I have it that Ann Sanderson daughter of William and Mary (Jowett) Sanderson died in 1825 in Sheffield.

Sanderson is not an uncommon name in Sheffield by any means so it makes it very hard to track the female lines.

The 1871 census appears to indicate that Ann Sanderson was a widow, as the notation is different to "Mar" and "unm" of the others on the page. I agree she is in a separate household and it is not clear to whom she is a sister !!!

Di
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia
                                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi every one thank you for your responses. I have not had chance to look at my family history this morning as I have been trying to help OH sort the boiler out (see other thread). This basically means fetching and carrying! But, as soon as I can I will follow up Mary Smith - why do I always get landed with the Smiths?

Sandra

Comment

haha face an uncommon name and you can't find them because of mistranscription......land a common anme and never have enough information to find the correct one.....you just can't win sometimes!!

Comment

Good luck Sandra with the Smith's and with your boiler
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                        haha face an uncommon name and you can't find them because of mistranscription......land a common anme and never have enough information to find the correct one.....you just can't win sometimes!!
                                        its just murphys law !!!! and its always the last one you look at !!
                                        Diane
                                        Sydney Australia
                                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                                        X