Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with a GR membership willing to do a couple of look ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with a GR membership willing to do a couple of look ups?

I have Ancestry but they don't have the articles listed for my man on Genes Reunited. If anyone is willing to do a look up for me, please pm me. Mods, please do remove if look up requests are not okay. I know I've not been around much lately but an extended family member has put me back on the trail and I'm desperate to get these links if possible (newspaper articles, if you're interested!)

Kate x

I have membership but just basic, why do you think GR will have something that Ancestry will not have.

What sort of newspapers and what year as you can view newspapers for free through library membership

Comment

Hi Clematised,

I've done the search on GR and the results come up, pages of them. Ancestry don't have the publication (Staffordshire Evening Sentinel) for the specific years I'm interested in (1874 & 1878), I've checked and they only have an 1875 article which I already have. There are three specific articles I'm interested in for my man (court cases he brought and one brought against him), and the rest are for sale notices I think - he was an auctioneer. I've had previous threads about him here ("Tracking illegitimates") - he was a very naughty boy playing away from home on his rounds! Because it's a local paper I've tried other online sources and can't find anything for it apart from the GR site. I will check with my library to see if they have anything, I just got so excited to get another lead on him that I jumped in!

Kate x

Comment

I don't know whether this would be of any interest to you Kate but I have just had a look at their charges. Pay per view credits at £5 might be cheaper than searching the library?

British Newspaper Archive content - 5 credits
        It costs £5 for 50 credits. The credits last for 30 days and then expire. You can also buy 200 credits for £17.95. These credits last for 90 days.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think it's cheaper to search through the original site than through GR (500 credits for £6.95, but you have to use them in two days):

Whether you are a researcher, historian or you simply want to know more about Britain's history, take this fantastic opportunity to search The British Newspaper Archive - a vast treasure trove of historical newspapers from your own home.

Comment

You should be able to get free access to the Gale newspaper collection through your local library, as Clematised said (nothing to do with Ancestry), but I've just checked the website, and it doesn't look as though they have the Staffordshire Sentinel.

Comment

Thank you Chrissie and Mary - the articles I want are there on the British Newspaper Archive site, so I just need to work out the cheapest way of getting them - it might actually through GR given that I only need a few credits and it would be £5 as opposed to £6.95. Thanks again folks,

Kate x

Comment

Working...
              X