forest green, gloucestershire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forest green, gloucestershire

can anyone tell me if there are parish registers for forest green near nailsworth in gloucester? i can't find anything by googling. nothing shows up for the igi, familysearch or on findmypast.

I believe (not certain about this) that Forest Green had no C of E church, but probably had a chapel. For C of E registers I think you might need to investigate Nailsworth or Minchinhampton.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

thank you scuda, i had wondered if it was in the parish of nailsworth.

Comment

Roughly what date are you interested in?

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Another thought - Forest Green might well be in Avening parish, but definitely not a parish itself.

scuda

Comment

i'm not 100% sure what time frame. i asked the state library in south australia for some information on a coen family. they said that a john coen was born about 1853 to a 'british shepherd, matthew coen'. i'm not sure if john was born in england, so i was hoping to access the registers to see if any matthew's are mentioned in them, and try to trace them forwards. i could not find any matthew coen's in gloucester on the census though.

Comment

Have you looked on the Glos BMD site http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/MainMenu.aspx ? All the Gloucestershire birth registrations (ie post-1837) should be here, complete with mother's maiden name - quite likely more use than the parish register. Marriage are indexed, too, plus some deaths.

scuda

Comment

i could not find any matthew coen's in gloucester on the census though.
                If he was a shepherd perhaps he was out in the fields rather than at home on census night.

Comment

I'm a bit dubious about the surname Coen. I wonder if it was Cowen or Cowan.

scuda

Comment

the name is spelt coen on the only record i have of it, a birth cert in 1864 south australia. it can be jewish or irish from what i have found on the surname. i jus figured if i could find a matthew having kids at forest green, maybe one would be a john, and i could trace the family forwards, to see if any of them came to australia.

Comment

Another thought - is it definitely the Forest Green in Gloucestershire that you need? There is at least one other - in Surrey.

Comment

the library said it was forest green in gloucester specifically near nailsworth. i do not know what their source was for that info.

Comment

the library said it was forest green in gloucester specifically near nailsworth.
                          There's not much doubt there, then. If his birth was registered it should appear on the Glos BMD site I mentioned earlier, but I can't see any sign of it, even searching for all births with the surname beginning 'co'. I think your best bet would be to contact the Glos FHS http://www.gfhs.org.uk/index.html Perhaps their indexed records would hold the answer, or someone there might know more about the Forest Green area, and have a few more ideas.

I'll let you know if anything else occurs to me.

scuda

Comment

thanx scuda, i was under the impression john may have been born in south australia. or england, but not gloucester. the father is originally from gloucester. and i have no idea of the mother, so i can't pinpoint them with that info.

Comment

Working...
                            X