Jane Evans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Evans

I have the marriage cert. for Jane Evans 14/12/1868 in All Saints Birmingham. She gives her age as 20 which is consistent with later censuses, where her place of birth is Birmingham. Her father is James Evans Watch & Clock Maker. However I cannot find any likely entry on Ancestry for James & Jane in 1851 or 1861. Can anyone do better than me?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Hi,
    Do you have any more info on James - year of birth, place of birth etc?
    Thanks.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Possible for Jane in 1861

Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth
      Year
      Occupation
      Disability
      Where Born
      SUMNER, George Head Married M 38 1823 Commission Agent Birmingham
      Warwickshire
      SUMNER, Helen Wife Married F 39 1822 Alcester
      Warwickshire
      SUMNER, Helen Daughter F 11 1850 Scholar Birmingham
      Warwickshire
      SUMNER, Catherine Daughter F 6 1855 Scholar Birmingham
      Warwickshire
      SUMNER, Florence Daughter F 4 1857 Scholar Aston Manor
      Warwickshire
      SUMNER, Marian Daughter F 1 1860 Aston Manor
      Warwickshire
      EVENS, Jane Servant F 12 1849 House Servant Birmingham
      Warwickshire

Piece:
      Folio:
      Page:
      Registration District:
      Aston
      Civil Parish:
      Aston
      Municipal Borough:
      Address:
      George Street, Aston
      County:
      Warwickshire
      Lauren =)

Comment

Herky
        No I know nothing about james except that it is him on the marriage cert.

Lauren
        Could well be her but if she is not at home this entry does not help trace her family. I really need to find her in 1851 when she was only 3 so should have been at home.

Thanks, both, for your interest in this case.

Comment

There's a James EVANS, aged 27 in 1851, who's described as watch finisher journeyman, but the children are James, 3, and Emma, 10 mo... and they're all in Coventry. That's not all that far away but it isn't Birmingham.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's another in Coventry, again, but aged 56 (which is getting on a bit, as is his wife, Marg, 54, when you're talking about bearing a child only a few years before). He's a watch gilder and publican (an odd combination). No Jane is mentioned.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Do the witness names give any clues to help you?

Christine

Comment

There's a jeweller called James EVANS, aged 19, in Brearley St, West, in Birmingham, but he's unmarried and living with parents and siblings.

Christine

Comment

Long shot but there is a Jane aged 10 in the 1861 living with parent James in Aston - he is a gun borer, not a watch maker but it is a job where the skills could be transferred. Theres a James living with parents in Brum in 1851 a journeyman gold chain maker. Hmm, not easy to find them is it.

Who were the witnesses to the marriage and where did Jane and her husband live?
                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 11-01-12, 18:02.

Comment

Christine
                    Of the two in Coventry one wife seems too old. But not impossible. The other one is the right age but where is Jane age 3? The witnesses were relatives of the groom, and I have no problems with his side of the family, it's just his wife.

Heather
                    I saw that one, but both age and occupation make it unlikely.

Thanks for looking.
                    Last edited by webwiz; 12-01-12, 17:41. Reason: Forget Jane recorded as James - same in 1861

Comment

If you look 1861, do you think gun could be gem?
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Her father is James Evans Watch & Clock Maker
                        what about trade directories? might they help?
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there are only 2 jane evans born in birmingham in 1848:

Births Sep 1848
                          EVANS, Jane- Birmingham. vol.16, page 387
                          EVANS, Jane Elizabeth- Birmingham. vol.16, page 341

other surrounding entries are 1846 and 1850. you could get one of the birth certs, the address might help narrow the family down in the census. this is assuming she was born in birmingham, and not a small village nearby.

Comment

Thanks, already checked these but neither has a father James. Of course her mother may have remarried after Jane was born with some other name in which case this will probably be an insurmountable brick wall.

Comment

what is Janes husbands name please,
                              Julie

Comment

have you look for a bapt/birth for her?
                                Julie

Comment

It could be gem, but then I don't know what the next two words might be that would match gem. Birmingham was the centre of the arms industry, BSA and others, but there was also a thriving jewellery industry.

Comment

Jane married John Leaver. I cannot find any likely birth under the name Jane Evans with a father James in the Midlands. There are a couple in Wales, but in both father's occupation is miner and Jane always claims to have been born in Birmingham.

Comment

mmm I did wonder if they left any wills or anything, but, it doesnt look like they had. It might be that she 'invented' the father or possibly gave the wrong name, I know my own grandmother gave her fathers name as George Frederick, whereas it was Frederick Thomas!
                                      Julie

Comment

I must say that I found myself wondering if the father's name was conjured up for the sake of saving face at the time of the marriage.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X