Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Grimshaw PICKUP born 1836 Oswaldwistle LANCS.ENG.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Grimshaw PICKUP born 1836 Oswaldwistle LANCS.ENG.

Grimshaw PICKUP
    Born 1836 son of Philip and Ellen PICKP nee Grimshaw
    Married Alice HOLDEN ,Haslingden ,LANCS.1855
    9 children born in Lancashire
    after early 1871 Grimshaw PICKUP leaves England and appears in Victoria, Australia married to Matilda Ann SMITH in September 1871.
    Any family of Grimshaw and Alice Holden would be useful for research.
    All the family of Grimshaw and Matilda PICKUP born in Australia after 1872 would also be interesting
    Especially the name of the ship Grimshaw PICKUP travelled on to Australia
    Thank you

Hello Pymble

welcome to the Forum, do you have Grimshaw on any census at all?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I see he died in Aus

Name: Grimshaw Pickup
      Death Place: Brunswick, Victoria
      Registration Year: 1906
      Registration Place: Victoria
      Registration Number: 4523
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
      Julie

Comment

marriage

Name: Grimshaw Pickup
        Spouse Name: Matilda Ann Smith
        Marriage Place: Victoria
        Registration Place: Victoria
        Registration Year: 1871
        Registration Number: 3542
        Julie

Comment

I think that the Grimshaw that marries Margaret is a different one, as he seems to be consistently on the UK census with Margaret and dies in 1902.

do you subscribe to Ancestry at all?
          Julie

Comment

I am doing an unofficial one name study of the Holdens of the area. Do you have the name of Alice Holden's father from her marriage certificate, please, as that would help to identify her out of the 30 million other Alice Holdens in the area.

OC

Comment

Grimshaw PICKUP definitely married Matilda Ann SMITH in Fitzroy Registry Office Melbourne ,Victoria ,Australia on 13th September 1871.He states that his parents are Philip and Ellen Pickup nee Grimshaw and that his occupation is a bootmaker. His age 30 and he states that he is a bachelor.
              Matilda Ann Smith may not have known that Grimshaw had left a family in Lancashire as Alice Pickup(first wife )died early 1871 leaving all the 9 children.

I do not as yet subscribe to Ancestry but try to find it at our local library.

Yes to answer your census question, I have Grimshaw Pickup on the 1841 with his parents and 5 siblings.
              on the 1861 cesus with his wfe Alice and 2 sons,Alfred and Edwin.
              Grimshaw PICKUP does not appear on the 1871 census for UK.
              BUT he does appear on a marriage certificate in Australia 1871.

Comment

I do not know who Alice Holden's father was as I have not as yet researched the HOLDEN family.
                (Grimshaw PICKUP was my great grandfather and his second wife,Matilda Ann Smith was my great grandmother.)

I am hoping that some of their 9 children will have had ancestors doing research in Lancashire.
                Thank you for interest and will try to help with the PICKUP/ Holden story.
                Pymble

Comment

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your post and thought you were looking for information about Alice Holden.

OC

Comment

How sure are you that Grimshaw left England in 1871? I ask, because he went bankrupt in 1868 and may have fled the country then, rather than face prison. Or, he may have been in prison in 1871 and that is why you haven't found him.

OC

Comment

I have just checked the trees on Genes Reunited and found two members researching Grimshaw Pickup born 1836 Oswaldtwhistle names of Angela and Alan (treeowners) If I were to send them a message for you what would you like me to say, dont give personal details here though you can send me a Personal message if you click on my username

Edna

Comment

Thank you for the idea about Grimshaw PICKUP being in prison /or out of country earlier than 1871
                        The last child of Grimshaw and Alice Pickup nee Holden was born 8.2.1871 and died June Q1871 as shown on 1871 census.
                        I assumed that Grimshaw ran off before her birth or soon after. It does not seem a long time before he married again in another country . I have searched in vain for him arriving in Australia.He could have travelled under another name.

Where did you find details about Grimshaw Pickup being bankrupt?
                        All help very appreciated
                        Pymble

Comment

If Grimshaw wasn't around, then the last child wasn't his.

The Bankruptcy notices were in the London Gazette, dated 25 September 1868 and 20th October, 1868, when he was called to apply for discharge but it isn't clear whether he did that or not.

OC

Comment

I have had one reply from Genesreunited and forwarded the information to pymble by PM but they dont have a lot of information to pass on but it may give some help
                            I have also been given tree access to check out their tree.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                            X