Help with tracing George Smith!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with tracing George Smith!

I have posted this query before, but I am hoping someone could me some new ideas of how to trace George Smith.

This is the only information that I have:

George Smith married my 3x grt Grandmother Emma Stevens December 1917 at Nottingham registry office. The details for George from the marriage cert are:

George Smith, widdower, aged 45, coal miner, living in Lenton Notts, father: John Smith deceased general labourer.

The witnesses were Arthur Goulding and Florence Shaw. I have tried to see if either of the witnesses were a relation to George but I can't seem to find any connection. There is a Florence Smith born 1878 Hickling Notts, who married a Joseph Shaw. Florence's family are living in Lenton Notts on the 1901/1911 census. I can't find any connection between Florence and George.

I know from older relatives that George had 2 sons from a previous marriage, John George (Jack) and Walter, but unfortunately they don't know how old they were or where they were born.

I have finally managed to get George Smith's death cert and he died 1957 Nottingham, the informant on the dc is my grandmother.

I contacted the Bulwell cemetery in Nottingham to find George and Emma Smith's burial place, they found the grave and told me that George was buried as John George Smith! The dc also has his name as John George Smith.

So far intrying to trace George this is what has been searched:

Electoral rolls for the address at time of marriage up to 1939.

Nottm evening post for an obit, one hasn't been found.

Nottingham national probate calendar: No will.

Census 1881-1911.

With John George Smith being such a common name, there is sooo many on the census to choose from! No will or obit can be found.

Is there anything else I could try, to try and trace John George Smith further back?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Kelly

do you have him on the 1911 census at all?

where did he die? I know you said you contacted Bulwell cemetery, is this the Hempshall Vale one?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

No, I haven't found him on the 1911 there are quite a few George and John George Smith's born c1872.

John George died September 1957 Nottingham, he was buried 23rd September 1957 Northern Cemetery which is the Hempshill Lane.

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
        Hi Julie,

No, I haven't found him on the 1911 there are quite a few George and John George Smith's born c1872.

John George died September 1957 Nottingham, he was buried 23rd September 1957 Northern Cemetery which is the Hempshill Lane.

Kelly
        am having a look but not finding much, their might be an obit in the 'Hucknall & Bulwell Dispatch' if they lived in Bulwell area, unfortunately their Archives are not online.
        Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

John George was living in Bestwood at the time of his death.

I've looked at some of the 1911 entries on ancestry but I can't really see anything obvious.

Comment

I have found this, but, I have NO idea where Coal pit lane is!

maybe worthwhile trying to see if the wife dies ?
            Julie

Comment

Have a look at this on 1911

SMITH, George Head Married M 36 1875 Colier Butty Nottingham
              SMITH, Annie Wife Married 12 years F 36 1875 Derbyshire Shardlow
              SMITH, Walter Son M 6 1905
              SMITH, Jack Son M 4 1907
              SMITH, George Son M 2 1909

RG14PN20549 RG78PN1230 RD430 SD3 ED9 SN199

Address:
              64 Coalpit Lane Nottingham

These were the only combination of the names you have to be found in Nottinghamshire so seem very likely. We need to find a death for Annie and the younrgest George to maybe make it more likely than not.

Margaret

Comment

Snap! Darksecretz we posted simultaneously.

Margaret

Comment

Yes, I keep coming back to that one as well.

I have just googled Coalpit Lane and apparently was where Lower Parliment street is.

Kelly.

Comment

Some time ago a kind member looked at the electoral rolls for George and Emma's address from when they married. On the 1933-4 it lists:

Smith, George
                    Smith, Emma
                    Smith, John George
                    Smith, Walter
                    Stevens, Arthur

Does the electoral rolls list people in order of age? If they do then John George would be younger than Walter?

Comment

Yes, I keep coming back to that one as well.

I have just googled Coalpit Lane and apparently was where Lower Parliment street is.

Kelly.
                      oh yea! its near to the Nottingham Arena, (near to where the old ice stadium was) it still says formerly 'coal pit lane' on the road sign for Lower Parliment Street

I forgot THAT! duh!
                      Julie

Comment

Some time ago a kind member looked at the electoral rolls for George and Emma's address from when they married. On the 1933-4 it lists:

Smith, George
                        Smith, Emma
                        Smith, John George
                        Smith, Walter
                        Stevens, Arthur

Does the electoral rolls list people in order of age? If they do then John George would be younger than Walter?
                        I dont know Kelly, havent used them before
                        Julie

Comment

Smith, George
                          Smith, Emma
                          Smith, John George
                          Smith, Walter
                          Stevens, Arthur

Even now, when we fill in forms to be included on electoral register, we don't give ages so I don't think the order can be anything to do with age.
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I would think it would be the other way around with John George being older??

How about this for a marriage for the family in 1911

Annie Foster Jan-Feb-Mar 1899 Basford Nottinghamshire Volume Number: 7b Page Number: 159
                            George Smith Jan-Feb-Mar 1899 Basford Nottinghamshire Volume Number: 7b Page Number: 159

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                              Even now, when we fill in forms to be included on electoral register, we don't give ages so I don't think the order can be anything to do with age.
                              I didn't know if it would list the children in order of age, because of the different years they would have been old enough to be on the electoral list?

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post

Annie Foster Jan-Feb-Mar 1899 Basford Nottinghamshire Volume Number: 7b Page Number: 159
                                George Smith Jan-Feb-Mar 1899 Basford Nottinghamshire Volume Number: 7b Page Number: 159
                                I think I have looked into this one before, I think I found that someone had this family on ancestry and they had a different father for George. I will just go and have a look to see if I made a note somewhere.

I actually meant to write that John George would be older than Walter. If this is the case the 1911 may be for another family?

Comment

Yes, you have to be voting age to be on the electoral roll which is compiled in October for the following year so would include anyone able to vote in the next May elections.
                                  Maragaret

Comment

I think I have looked into this one before, I think I found that someone had this family on ancestry and they had a different father for George. I will just go and have a look to see if I made a note somewhere.
                                    Check what evidence they have for the father's name.
                                    Margaret

Comment

dont suppose there is one in Shardlow, Derbys area is there?
                                      Julie

Comment

Yes, you have to be voting age to be on the electoral roll which is compiled in October for the following year so would include anyone able to vote in the next May elections.
                                        Maragaret
                                        And the only time an age is given is for youngsters who will "come of age" during the year. When I moved house and filled in a form I didn't have to give ages for any of the people (all adults) on the list, just list all eligible to vote and sign a declaration that the info I had given was true.
                                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
                                        X