Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re BDM searches in UK

Hi Everyone,

I am very excited as over the last couple of months I have demolished a couple of brick walls that have been bugging me for a long time. Yahhh!;D

My question is to do with BDM searches in the UK. I am getting very confused, and I know I am not the brightest crayon in the box, but where is the best site for doing these searches. My Ancestry searches only give me name and date, but I am trying to find and confirm by using parents details as well. One of my families are the Goslings from Clacton On Sea and Little Holland. There are buckets of Goslings in these areas, all with the same names but not related, so how do I know if I have the correct one. I'm sorry for asking a silly question, but there must be an easier way. I am happy to join something and pay a subscription if I have to.

I sincerely appreciate any assistance.

Kind regards
    Helen from Australia

Researching Gosling, Hindmarsh, Jones, Norris, McDonald, Dunn, Spencer, Smith, Spengler, Grosert
    Australia, Essex, Little Holland, Clacton on Sea, Romford

Hi Helen
    If you put some details of which Goslings you are looking for & dates I am sure the FTF members will be able to help you.
    Moggie

Comment

Unless you are far enough back in time to use the censuses to help, there is no sure way of knowing who connects to who. The index includes spouse and mother's maiden names after 1912 but if they are common names its not much use.

So to answer your query ..... no you are not being silly. In England and Wales, with only the indexes to guide us, we have to buy the certificates to be sure!

Anne

Comment

Try Family Search. They have essex Parish Records plus many others you can search.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
        Last edited by WendyPusey; 11-01-12, 07:59.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Moggie

My problem child is an Elizabeth Gosling born abt 1823 in Little Holland Essex.

She married John Gosling Born 1820 in Rochford.

They were married March 1841.

Her father was Robert Gosling born 1795.

I was wanting to confirm if her birth name was Gosling, or if maybe they were cousins or just not related at all.

I cannot confirm Robert Goslings birth and do not know anything about Elizabeths mother.

I can't confirm Elizabeth's birth.

I have Elizabeth and John's marriage certificate. Image.jpg

The witnesses to the marriage were George Fisher and Joseph Wink. Neither name means anything to me. I haven't come across them in my searching.

I have the same difficulty with Edward Gosling.

Thanks Wendy, I just saw your reply. Will give that a go.

Thanks you all so much.
          Helen from Australia

Researching Gosling, Hindmarsh, Jones, Norris, McDonald, Dunn, Spencer, Smith, Spengler, Grosert

Comment

As your Goslings are from Essex you may find SEAX - the online parish register resources of Essex Record Office of more help than the LDS site. http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/EssexAncestors.asp They have Little Holland with Great Clacton St John The Baptist church baptism registers online from 1543 to 1890, burials from 1543 to 1847 and marriages 1543 to 1847. You have to register and pay to view these but if you have possible dates from the GRO BMD indexes viewing baptism/marriage/burial should help you pin down whether these are yours are not. If you need look ups of later dates contact me as I visit the record office fairly often and could view the microfiche for you.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Judith. That is so kind. Will have a look.

Kind regards
              Helen from Australia

Comment

The Gosling Family Bible thread recently on the memorobilia board springs to mind now so worth a read.

Edna

Comment

Assistance with UK searches

Hi Edna

Yes, when I saw the info on the bible I nearly wet myself. Unfortunately not related. Maybe next time.
                  Kind regards
                  Helen from Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Grosert View Post
                    Thanks Moggie

My problem child is an Elizabeth Gosling born abt 1823 in Little Holland Essex.

As she was born before civil registration started in 1837 there will be no birth certificate or entry in the birth index, as said above the parish registers are the records needed to try and unravel things, it may be a case of building several "mini trees" showing family groups from that time period in order to piece together all the connected (or unconnected) families. I'm having to do the same myself for one line but my main problem is not knowing where they originate from and as they are late 1600 births it's even more of a problem as there is no census to use as a guide.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

1851 census has John & Elizabeth Gosling together with John's brother Uriah Gosling.

1841 census has John Gosling, Uriah Gosling and Elizabeth Gosling all living with Edward Gosling (John's Father?) in Great Clacton.

Family Tree on Ancestry

Last edited by WendyPusey; 11-01-12, 11:57.
                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Helen, I have found the following.

UK Parish Register no. 179 for Eliza GOSLING

County-Essex, Place-Stisted, Church-All Saints, Baptism 27 8 1280, Father-John, Mother-Elizabeth both living at Stisted, Essex. Father listed as Husbandman.

Source: FreeReg

If this is of any help and you need any more assistance, give me a shout.
                        hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

Originally posted by hscott21c View Post
                          Helen, I have found the following.

UK Parish Register no. 179 for Eliza GOSLING

County-Essex, Place-Stisted, Church-All Saints, Baptism 27 8 1280, Father-John, Mother-Elizabeth both living at Stisted, Essex. Father listed as Husbandman.

Source: FreeReg

If this is of any help and you need any more assistance, give me a shout.
                          I imagine that that year is intended to read: 1820?

Edit: That record appears on FamilySearch, batch number I04525-1.

Christine
                          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-02-12, 14:50.
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Using FamilySearch, she appears to have had 8 siblings, baptised between 1817 and 1835, although the two in 1833 are a bit odd:

George ~ 12 Jul 1817
                            Maria ~ 8 Jul 1821
                            Rachel ~ 23 Dec 1825
                            Samuel ~ 1 Mar 1829
                            Mahalath (normally this name is Mahala/Mahalia/Mahalah - no "t", anyway) ~ 25 Dec 1831
                            Caroline Ann ~ 6 Oct 1833
                            John ~ 16 Dec 1833
                            Robert ~ 12 Jul 1835

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                            X