what to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to buy

I need to buy a new computer or lap top and was going to get another dell but everyone keeps telling me not to so I'm totally confused. One suggestion was to buy an all in one comp but do not know anyone who has one also suggested to go for a samsung or toshiba any help would be apprecaited I'm going to go for 8gb this time
    GWEN

I can't really say what is good/bad Gwen, what are you looking to do with it? I would suggest that you go and look at the different types of computer that might best suit your needs, if you think that a laptop is the way to go and would like it to be portable then this is the better option.

I guess it all depends what you want out of it really, we have had quite a few Acer laptops and have found them more than satisfactory.

maybe go to a Tesco or Asda, PC world or Comet, and if you see something cheaper in PC world then Comet will price match it.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Nothing wrong with Dell. My son and I have both just bought a new laptop from them. I'd rather buy from Dell than Tesco or Asda etc!
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

2 new laptops brought in house recently, I brought a cheap Lenovo, son top of range Dell both do what they were brought for.
        Best thing is to decide on your budget, then what you want it to do, check what comes with it as often you buy what looks a good deal then find adding software will push price up. Mine came with Microsoft Office starter that for me was fine , virus and copy software also included , others that looked at came just with OS.

Comment

If you're replacing a PC, then there's probably no point in introducing a Mac into the equation - but they are nice computers to use.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My 1st, and as yet only laptop, is a Dell, had it over two years now, and would recommend it to anyone. Regards Del.
            Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

Comment

I have just ordered a new computer which is being delivered tomorrow. It is my third and every one I've had specially built by a local, independant computer shop. I think you get better service and support and you get a system that is tailored to your needs. I went into the shop a week ago to talk to them about what I need and what's available (it is 7 years since I last bought a computer so thngs have moved on a lot!). I suppose it is a bit more expensive than buying online or from somewhere like Tesco but they are bringing it to the house, will set it up for me and give me a crash course in Windows 7. I have the comfort of knowing that, if anything does go wrong I only have to pop into the shop and talk to people I know. All that is worth a lot to me for something that is as important as my computer.
              ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

as a point Ann, which OS are you using at the moment? is it XP? do you also have FTM on your puter? if so which one?
                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
                  I have just ordered a new computer which is being delivered tomorrow. It is my third and every one I've had specially built by a local, independant computer shop. I think you get better service and support and you get a system that is tailored to your needs. I went into the shop a week ago to talk to them about what I need and what's available (it is 7 years since I last bought a computer so thngs have moved on a lot!). I suppose it is a bit more expensive than buying online or from somewhere like Tesco but they are bringing it to the house, will set it up for me and give me a crash course in Windows 7. I have the comfort of knowing that, if anything does go wrong I only have to pop into the shop and talk to people I know. All that is worth a lot to me for something that is as important as my computer.
                  Your attitude to buying your computer is like our choice of ISP. We use a local one in Watford. It's certainly more expensive than the special offers from eth big compnaies, but we know that we can probably get through on the phone quite quickly, and people will ring you back, &/or email you - and they will deal with problems promptly or let you know what's causing any delay.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    as a point Ann, which OS are you using at the moment? is it XP? do you also have FTM on your puter? if so which one?
                    I've now got my super-duper new comp. and it certainly makes me realise how much I needed a new one!

I was using XP on my old one Julie with FTM 2006. Now I've got Windows 7 I know I will either have to upgrade my FTM or download a patch for 2006 to work properly. I've saved all my FTM files to a memory stick and I also made and saved Gedcoms for good measure. Sorting all that out is a job for another day though. I'm still trying to find my way around what I've got now!
                    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

If your new puter is 64bit then you wont be able to download a patch for it, it will have to be FTM2011 or FTM2012.

tbh Ann, the transisiton isnt that bad, I can now quite happily drift between XP>>Vista>>>win 7, (I have also had a ramble around Linux!!)
                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-01-12, 17:30.
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
                        Good for you, Ann. I did something similar a couple of years ago. I went to a local 'geek' and asked him if he could build me a computer (telling him what I wanted it to do) and (having got fed up with Microsoft's policy on Windows and Office - updates I did not want and facilities which slowed down what I did want, changes which made former methods of working impossible, etc) have a Linux OS. It was a steep learning curve, and initially expensive, but I have an OS which is free and if I don't take a later version it does not matter. I know that I can go to him and get service which the big stores (let alone Microsoft!) cannot match. As long as he stays in business.....

Comment

Working...
                        X