Ordering post-1858 English wills from overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering post-1858 English wills from overseas

The Web site form from the Leeds district registry says that credit card payments are 'not currently accepted'. Does anyone know if they are likely to be accepted in the near future. It is expensive to order international sterling money orders or bank drafts, especially for small amounts. If the National Archives and British Library can accept credit cards why can't HM Courts & Tribunals service?

Originally posted by ftfmk View Post
    The Web site form from the Leeds district registry says that credit card payments are 'not currently accepted'. Does anyone know if they are likely to be accepted in the near future. It is expensive to order international sterling money orders or bank drafts, especially for small amounts. If the National Archives and British Library can accept credit cards why can't HM Courts & Tribunals service?
    I have sent you a Private Message, click on Private Messages just below the word Forum

Edna

Comment

The Leeds District Probate Registry advise that credit-card payment is currently under 'national review'. I have no idea what this means.

Comment

i agree, it would be most useful to be able to pay for wills online. checks are expensive to have done in pounds, costs me $30 for the check, add on the amount for the check, and woila. they would probably get more orders too.

Comment

Originally posted by ftfmk View Post
          The Leeds District Probate Registry advise that credit-card payment is currently under 'national review'. I have no idea what this means.
          It will mean that the Headquarters Dept dealing with Courts will be deciding on a national basis whether or not to provide this facility and if so to let a contract to a suitable provider at a rate consistent with the usage anticipated over the whole country - bulk buying.
          Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            i agree, it would be most useful to be able to pay for wills online. checks are expensive to have done in pounds, costs me $30 for the check, add on the amount for the check, and woila. they would probably get more orders too.
            I think that it will be unfortunate when they do get more orders that they will up the price to reflect the cost as it will mainly be us hobby-ists who are using the service. The point being that at the moment no doubt the taxpayer is subsidising the cost.
            Margaret

Comment

You could always send cash - £5 is not much to risk in the post. Not sure how that would equate with an exchange rate though. It might end up as much as cheques???

With our small Family History society we advise overseas members to send banknotes in their own currency. It works out cheaper all round and we've never yet had a mishap. I don't suppose the courts service would accept foreign currency though!

Anne

Comment

Working...
              X